Shanghai and Buenos Aires: my tale of two cities

Argentinos like this person are either -

1) Significantly more cultured than I am.
or
2) Pretentious posers who are really good at pretending to be so cultured.

I fail to see anything pretentious about this article. Jeans wearing dude wants to learn how cities change.
Pretension in Argentina, to me, is Zona Norte, with its attempts to imitate Miami architecture and bad chain restaurants, and have more motorcycle dealerships per capita than anywhere else on earth.

I fail to see anything pretentious about this article. Jeans wearing dude wants to learn how cities change.
Pretension in Argentina, to me, is Zona Norte, with its attempts to imitate Miami architecture and bad chain restaurants, and have more motorcycle dealerships per capita than anywhere else on earth.

As I said, there are two possibilities.

what's wrong about motorcycles and dealerships?
Libertador is one solid wall of expensive motorcycle stores for 3 km north of general paz.
Seems kinda of excessive to me.
They sell Ducatis, Harleys, and BMWs, not cheap scooters.
And its not uncommon to see "gangs" of rich chetos roar by in groups of 6 or 8, all on bikes that are 1000 ccs or more.
Add that to the Range Rover, Mercedes, and BMW car dealers, and it seems pretty pretentious to me.
But I ride the colectivos, using my Sube card.
I dont have a car here, but if I did, it would probably be a Fiorino camionetta.

They sell Ducatis, Harleys, and BMWs, not cheap scooters.
And its not uncommon to see "gangs" of rich chetos roar by in groups of 6 or 8, all on bikes that are 1000 ccs or more.
Add that to the Range Rover, Mercedes, and BMW car dealers, and it seems pretty pretentious to me.
(this quote edited for brevity & focus)
That's pretty damned pretentious alright. Such conspicuous consumption never ends well.
Ah well, they're probably paying for those expensive bikes on cuotas, and mortgaged up to their necks. Then when their bitchy, social-climbing wives divorce them and take the kids, they'll be clawing desperately to make the payments on top of alimony and child support. Not that I would wish that on any man.

Or maybe Argentina doesn't work like the USA does.

A base model Porsche Cayenne costs $184,000 US at the Porsche dealer in Vincente Lopez. I dont think they do cuotas. Of course, if you lard it up with options, its pretty easy to break a quarter million dollars.
I see a few cayennes every week in Recoleta and Retiro.
These people are rich.
Same with the people who buy Ducati's- $20k to $30k US for a low mile used one, effectivo.
Then you see em doing wheelies down Libertador.

Someone was driving a Chrysler 300 blinged out with spinner rims the other day on Corrientes, it's funny what would be considered trashy in the US is rich looking here.

But to the main article, I personally found Shanghai to be cool, and I suppose similar in some ways to Buenos Aires, but everything is very functional and well maintained there. If I had to chose a sister city I'd say Napoli, it's a mess, full of trash baking in the sun, people selling fake sunglasses on the sidewalk, and has its fair share of crime.

A base model Porsche Cayenne costs $184,000 US at the Porsche dealer in Vincente Lopez. I dont think they do cuotas. Of course, if you lard it up with options, its pretty easy to break a quarter million dollars.
I see a few cayennes every week in Recoleta and Retiro.
These people are rich.
Same with the people who buy Ducati's- $20k to $30k US for a low mile used one, effectivo.
Then you see em doing wheelies down Libertador.

Saw you mention Cayenne and had to share this video posted yesterday by LPL, the best locksmith instructor on YouTube now that Bosnian Bill has retired.

The HU66 he's using here is available for 39 USD. Versus 184K ?
Before the usual detractors screech in outrage, I am not not not suggesting anyone do anything illegal. I'm just pointing out how lame the locks are in proportion to the price of the car.

Back