Shipping Fbi Report From Us To Capital

MnParaPalermo

Registered
Hey expats,

Ive read through a few threads and I am looking for the best option to ship the fbi report (urgent/important document) to my apartment this week. I read that fedex was the best but I am unsure on the process, price and duration of the shipping. Additionaly, I was wondering if it was better to ship the document to myself or a resident of this city.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

I think FedEx is probably the best "overnight" courier, and probably cheaper than DHL for one-off shipments (FedEx has been cheaper for me when sending out of Argentina, though due to my mail-forwarding service, DHL is cheaper for me sending from there to here - see below). If you send it first class mail via USPS it will almost certainly get here, but you will wait maybe a week or two.

I don't know how much couriers cost anymore, but it's probably expensive ($60-$80 USD I'm thinking). It all depends on how quickly you need it as to whether or not you send it overnight courier (and sometimes it's overnight, sometimes a second day) or USPS.

There's nothing wrong with sending it to yourself, if you know you will be there to get it, or if you have a portero who's there during the day and can accept it for you. If you have a portero, let him know it's coming and he'll sign for it if you're not around (the courier should ring the "porteria" bell if you don't answer and the portero isn't at the door).

Worst case scenario if no one is there to accept it would be that it goes to the courier's central pickup. That's where I'm a bit more uncertain - FedEx, for example, may be at Ezeiza for things that don't get delivered, but they may have a local substation that holds it. DHL will hold a package at a local substation until you go get it if you miss delivery (at least, I've had that happen twice). Sending via USPS through to Correo Argentina, if you miss delivery I believe it is available at their post office in Retiro on Avenida Antàrtida. You might want to call both to make sure, or surely someone here will answer with more certainty

I'd probably send it overnight courier and watch the website for delivery info and plan to be there all day on the day it hits BA to make sure.

BTW - I have a service called USABox. It's a mail-forwarding service where you can have all your mail from the States sent during the month. I pay $30 USD a month. I get one "free" overnight shipment a month for that price (weight restrictions apply related to price - up to 4 pounds but weight is determined by by weight and bulk) and it costs me another $23 for an extra shipment. USABox uses DHL and I've never had a problem with them. You can see what arrives in your mailbox via pictures sent through email and choose to throw away stuff, or choose what you send down to yourself. They can also be authorized to accept registered letters or anything you have to sign for.

It's probably too late for you to do your FBI report through this now, if you already have the report and are looking for something now, but you might want to keep it in mind for the future of your mail from home. I also use the mail forwarding address as my resident address for banks and credit cards, so things like debit and credit cards go there when I need a replacement (expired, etc) and it all comes straight here to my apartment within a day or two of me sending it.

I always used FedEx for documents and never had any problems. It is quite expensive though. Last time someone sent me something, it was about $100 USD in shipping (and it was just an envelop with documents).

We sent an envelope labeled "documents/documentos" from MN two weeks ago. It was USD85 from a FedEx store. Arrived to our door in 4 days in Córdoba (strangely the "saver" rate was over USD100). Just don't put anything but documents in it as you risk it getting stuck in customs.

Be prepared to have to pay import taxes on it - no I am not joking. The courier will hold it ransom until you pay a made up amount usually $50USD at Ezeiza. Yes apparently they found a way to put a value on a document - amazing I know.

Be prepared to have to pay import taxes on it - no I am not joking. The courier will hold it ransom until you pay a made up amount usually $50USD at Ezeiza. Yes apparently they found a way to put a value on a document - amazing I know.

I've never heard of that or had it happen. Did this happen to you recently? Did the envelop say "documents" and have a declared value of 0? So strange.

I've never heard of that or had it happen. Did this happen to you recently? Did the envelop say "documents" and have a declared value of 0? So strange.
It was a replacement debit card with a piece of paper. Apparently they sell on the Argentine market for $100 USD

It was a replacement debit card with a piece of paper. Apparently they sell on the Argentine market for $100 USD

I had an idea that something like this would happen sooner or later. We all know that it's easy to detect a credit/debit card in an envelope, so I can believe this sort of extortion is happening now, particularly since we have a government that has set the gold standard for every manner of corruption. .

I had an idea that something like this would happen sooner or later. We all know that it's easy to detect a credit/debit card in an envelope, so I can believe this sort of extortion is happening now, particularly since we have a government that has set the gold standard for every manner of corruption. .
Nothing surprises me any more... Next they will tax CO2 that you exhale following an overseas trip from the evil capitalist countries.

I must say, I often have cards shipped to me via DHL/USABox and I've never had them held up. In fact, I got a package last week with 4 different cards (2 debit and 2 credit) among a lot of miscellaneous envelopes and I just sent another one to myself yesterday which I'm betting will arrive tomorrow to my doorstep as usual. Maybe FedEx for some reason has problems that DHL doesn't? DHL is a Dutch company after all, and FedEx being from the evil US, maybe that's why. Heh.

The only time I've ever had problems with sending things via DHL to me here was when I had something that wasn't papers, which I learned years ago, even before all the additional recent import restrictions, not to send. The only time I was surprised was when I sent a couple of books from Amazon direct to me here. According to international law (as I understand it) books for personal use are not taxable via import duties, but customs held mine up and indeed wanted an arm and a leg for me to claim it - $60 USD with FedEx just to allow me to get into customs (broker's fees) and whatever duty I would have had to pay on top of that, so I let my $40 USD books sit there and never went to claim them. This was about 4 years ago or so and I understand that Argentine customs since then has corrected that problem with personal books, though I never tried to send books to myself again.

Back