Shipping from overseas?

va2ba

Registered
My parents sent me a package for Christmas and we were expecting them to be here by now, but they have not gotten here.

I'm curious, if we have to pay taxes on anything in it, do we have to go someplace else to pay and pick it up? If so, how will I know that I need to go pay and pick it up?

You will need to go to the Correo Argentina building in Retiro, regardless of if you're being charged or not, to pick it up. Depending on the value marked in the US, you might be charged, or you might not. I think anything over US$ 25 is charged a 50% fee. I always try to get around it by telling my family, if it's anything like clothing, to run it through the cycle, remove the tags, and mark it as used, which they do not charge fees for.

Also, there is a good chance that your item will never make it. I've found that... maybe 75% of shipments that I know are coming actually end up arriving.

I should point out that they did send it by Fedex.

If they sent it Fed Ex you will get a notice and be summoned to EZE and PAY, PAY and PAY. FedEx and DHL are very strictly monitored at EZE.
Use USP International Express Mail. It will come directly to your home.

The packages getting hold up in customs have nothing to do with the forwarder. There are some threads on this subject already. Didn't Fedex provide you with a tracking number?

It has little to with the forwarder. However customs at EZE [which is where FedEx clears] is really tough. And packages other than documents get trapped 7 out of 10 times.

My parents sent me a package in may 2008. Through the tracking number I found out that it was held by customs here in Argentina in september 2008. Then it disappeared for several months and even though i tried to track it down by calling the customs office etc. I never got it and finally gave up. In february 2009 the package showed up again - in Sweden. My dad went to the post office to pick it upa nd they wanted to charge him with a customs fee that he in the end didn't have to pay... Turned out that among other things the package contained one of my favorite wollen sweather - and it's illegal to bring wool into Argentina...

blondie said:
My parents sent me a package in may 2008. Through the tracking number I found out that it was held by customs here in Argentina in september 2008. Then it disappeared for several months and even though i tried to track it down by calling the customs office etc. I never got it and finally gave up. In february 2009 the package showed up again - in Sweden. My dad went to the post office to pick it upa nd they wanted to charge him with a customs fee that he in the end didn't have to pay... Turned out that among other things the package contained one of my favorite wollen sweather - and it's illegal to bring wool into Argentina...

You have got to be kidding me...illegal to bring wool into Argentina...that is a joke!!! If that is what customs told you as to why your box did a Uturn, crazy and frankly BS!

I have used the US Post Office and as someone else said in this thread "Express Mail International"...it will get to your home...but you will pay duty...make sure they mark it as a "gift"....and keep the box small and below 10 pounds...and also state "used" items...and value very low too...
I am not happy to pay the duty but at least I don't have to go to the post office from hell in downtown or out to EZE for the FedEx nightmare...toss up on which is worse!!

I remember hearing it was illegal to send in used clothing. I'm sure I read that some where. Let me go see if I can find that again.

ETA:
"Argentina prohibits the import of many used capital goods. Used capital goods which can be imported are subject to a 6 percent import tariff. Some used machinery imports are allowed, but only if repaired or rebuilt. The Argentina-Brazil Bilateral Automobile Pact also bans the import of used self propelled agricultural machinery, unless it is rebuilt. Imports of used clothing are prohibited through June 2010, except when donated to government or religious organizations, as established by Resolution 367 in 2005. Argentina prohibits the importation and sale of used or re-treaded tires, used or refurbished medical equipment, including imaging equipment, and used automotive parts."
(bottom of page 19 on the document linked to below)
http://www.ustr.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/reports/2009/NTE/asset_upload_file726_15454.pdf <--- this is a pdf direct link.

Back