Shipping Furniture Here

You will pay a fortune in shipping plus bribes in the port of BA plus you'll have to post a bond. It is not worth the pain.

Selling it would make the most sense if I were in Fla. I'm thinking that I could have someone empty the storage room and either give the furniture away to a charity or giving it to a shipper but not to show and sell the items.

Giving it to a charity is probably the best option.

If you ship it and are not bringing in household goods temporarily "duty free" as a new temporary resident (and have to post a bond in that case), you will be charged (about) 50% of the new retail value of the furniture as estimated by the aduana. Add that to the shipping costs and compare the total to the cost of buying new or used furniture here. You will have to pay the aduana whatever they tell you if you want the furniture and if you delay, you will also have to pay daily storage fees.

I suggest you take a look at some of the furniture frenchie has recently bought on mercado libre in this thread:

Finding Interesting Items For Sale On Mercado Libre

If you are not a "savvy" antique buyer perhaps you could pay him a commission/finder's fee to help you find some great items at attractive prices.

[sup]Before you decide to sell your furniture in FL, I would do some research in regards to how much it would cost to replace your furniture here in BA. I think that what you will find is that furniture is super expensive and the quality is not so great, so it might make sense to ship your furniture even though it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. At least you'll have your things and you know that it'll be the quality that you're used to. Anyhow, just a thought. Good luck![/sup]

Actually, it's possible to find good quality furniture on Mercadolibre for decent prices (antiques).

Back