Shipping original artwork to the U.S.

kmbeeman

Registered
Hi, I am trying to ship seven orginal watercolor paintings to the U.S. and am having quite a difficult time with this due to exportation restrictions...does anyone have any advice?
Also, I am getting the impression that personally carrying them is much easier, so if there is anyone here who is planning a trip back to the U.S. in the next couple of weeks, maybe we could work something out? They´re relatively small.
The paintings were done by me, and are certified by Artes Visuales and La Casa de Cultura.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Does "certified by Artes Visuales" means it's the authorization to export the artworks, or is it just an honorary certificate (attesting you did them)?

Big difference because I wouldn't want to get catched at the Arg Customs without all the proper papers (they don't joke with that, I know very well the field).

I meant that they confirmed that the artwork was done by me and gave me the license to export it, BUT that was only the first step in a long process of paperwork. I was told by Aduana to hire a customs broker.

Why are there export restrictions on artwork?
Does this apply to all artwork or just artworks of historical/cultural significance?
If a tourist buys paintings at a market, does this mean he/she can't bring them back with them in their luggage?

Thanks for enlightening me.

kmbeeman said:
I meant that they confirmed that the artwork was done by me and gave me the license to export it, BUT that was only the first step in a long process of paperwork. I was told by Aduana to hire a customs broker.

It's great if you have the licence.
Indeed, you'll need a Despachante de Aduana and there are plenty offering their services. Adds to the price though.

I'd be you (since you are the artist) if you can roll the watercolors in a PVC tube (the plumbing ones, cut to your needs), stuffing both edges so the margins don't get creased then I would go to the CPI in Retiro and talk with the woman inspecting the boxes there (Furthermore you obeyed the Law so everything is cool). If the tube is less than 2 kilos, you can ship it from a regular Post office.

French jurist said:
It's great if you have the licence.
Indeed, you'll need a Despachante de Aduana and there are plenty offering their services. Adds to the price though.

I'd be you (since you are the artist) if you can roll the watercolors in a PVC tube (the plumbing ones, cut to your needs), stuffing both edges so the margins don't get creased then I would go to the CPI in Retiro and talk with the woman inspecting the boxes there (Furthermore you obeyed the Law so everything is cool). If the tube is less than 2 kilos, you can ship it from a regular Post office.

As an fyi I shipped mine out with intl movers as part of a larger container shipment and they managed everything so well including photographing the pieces and wrapping appropriately. They took care of the paperwork..the pieces just arrived yesterday and even French Jurists prized blue lady pastel is still beautiful after 5 months in storage...

It's almost impossible to ship artwork out of Argentina unless you use a dispanchante aduana. Yes, the restriction "technically" applies to every piece of artwork, even a doodle of a tree on a restaurant napkin.

I'm not sure about sending them with someone else. Even if you were going to take them yourself you would have to go to the aduana building at the airport the day before your flight (with all the papers but not the paintings). It can take several hours SO GO EARLY SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT THROUGH THE LONG LUNCH BREAK. The next day you have to go to the aduana office inside the airport before you check in for your flight so they can check the paintings. If you want to send them with someone else you both would have to go to the aduana building the day before the flight and hope they say yes...but I have my doubts because the export license was issued in your name.

You also need to find out if the papers you received from Artes Visuales and La Casa de Cultura have an expiration date. Some permits issued in Argentina expire after 60 days.

paullegere said:
Why are there export restrictions on artwork?
Does this apply to all artwork or just artworks of historical/cultural significance?
If a tourist buys paintings at a market, does this mean he/she can't bring them back with them in their luggage?

Thanks for enlightening me.

Applies to all paintings, antiquities (not even less than 100 yo=not real antiquities), sculptures and such.

Part of my business involves the Art world and an Antique dealers I knew told me this story once: a friend of his, Antique dealers also, came to BA for vacations with his wife & kids. They bought (for themselves furthermore) two small paintings in San Telmo, didn't know there was such a Law --> He got detained at the airport, imagine all the mess with wife&kids, etc.

Another story (ex girlfriend): She used to paint as a kid and signed with the family name and her parents bought a flat in PDE. They brought furniture, including two paintings signed by her by Buquebus = they had a very hard time with the Customs even though it was obvious it was painted by a kid with the family's name.

Nevertheless, if you come out of the country with two touristic paintings from La Boca (and it's obvious they are), the guy might let you... or not.

fifs2 said:
As an fyi I shipped mine out with intl movers as part of a larger container shipment and they managed everything so well including photographing the pieces and wrapping appropriately. They took care of the paperwork..the pieces just arrived yesterday and even French Jurists prized blue lady pastel is still beautiful after 5 months in storage...

Damn I sold it... But glad also it's with you now ;)

In June 2009 , I flew back to Canada with 4 oil paintings in a shipping tube which I carried over my shoulder. Had no issues whatsoever. It sounds like I was lucky.

Does anyone know the reason behind this export regulation? I can understand for certain important works of national significance, but for a blanket rule on all works of art, I don't understand how it can serve a country's interests or the interests of its artists.

Tu peux m'éclairer là-dessus FrenchJurist?

Merci.

Back