Shipping Used Household Goods From Usa

james p

Registered
I am thinking about shipping about 10 medium size boxes of used household goods( mostly kitchen items) and a VERY used washer dryer combo, an antique dresser, and 6 dining room chairs from Miami....my question is that as I am not a resident of Argentina, and have been traveling here on tourist visas (tho I have owned my home here for 10 years) will I be able to bring these obviously used items into Argentina duty free? I have spoken to 6 customs people and have gotten 6 different answers,,,,but then!!!!!! Anybody here has had some experience in this matter? Remember, as I have stated, I am here on a tourist visa......And HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

From what I have investigated, you can bring the items down, and they would be duty free, but after all the fees you have to pay and problems and runarounds you will experience, I recommend that you not do this. You will end up paying thousands and thousands of dollars, if you are even able to get your stuff out of customs, it will be a miracle. I sent one big box of stuff down in 2005, and it ended up costing me around 500 dollars. I can't imagine what a half-container full of things would cost nowadays. Really, it will probably be much more economical to just buy what you need, even at the astronomical prices of Argentina. You also can only ship one appliance per shipment, so pick the washer or the dryer. Another good option is to go ahead and go to Miami, pick up the important stuff and just pay the 100 bucks for extra bags when you fly back. I know you can't do that with chairs and washers and dryers (although you could take the chairs apart and assemble them when you get in), but you can with most other household items. Believe me, trust me when I say that you do not want to ship items to Argentina. The moving company will tell you what you will pay up front, and then the customs people will add a lot of money on top of that. They will charge you whatever they want, and there's nothing you can do because they have you over a barrel.

My wife and I buy literally everything in the US and take it in bags. We have to travel anyways, and it is a pain in the butt to travel with two children and 10 different bags, but this saves thousands of dollars. We have even brought two tvs (you can carry some pretty large boxes--consult with the airlines). The nice thing is that customs agents in the airport will mostly ignore you, because they know you are a foreigner.

The logic of shipping all this stuff down here does not match a tourist visa, unless you are planning to sell this locally. They will therefore tax the liquid out of your eye sockets.

Back in 2003 (things might and surely have changed since), I was able to import 4.5 square meters of stuff (by boat), with a tourist visa (unaccompanied luggage).

I hired a despachante and paid in total a few hundred pesos (I think it was 600 or 700).

I'm not sure if that can be done again but at some point, it was possible to do so.

The government has recently decided to register and tax second hand goods trade between particulars.
The current trend does not favor such adventures.

I am here as a resident and paid through the eyeballs just to ship my stuff a few years ago. One option you might have is looking for someone, a resident, to share a container with you. It would lower the costs. Also, I don't think bringing an appliance here is wise, esp one that uses a motor. You will have to have it retrofitted to work down here otherwise you will burn out the motor.

What I was told when I moved (with a work Visa) was that I could bring in my goods duty-free within 6 months of officially "landing" in Argentina. Anything I brought in after that, new or used, would be taxed. They stamped my passport at the airport saying exactly that. So I don't think that finding a resident would help you.

Also, my mover told me that I definitely needed temporary residence (not a tourist visa) before being allowed to ship a container. I guess that everyone gets different information. You might want to try asking my mover. They were great -- very professional, knowledgeable, and reasonable. Here's their info:

Argentina Int'l Moving SRL ( Argenmove)
Suipacha 612 Buenos Aires Argentina
Tel: (+54 11) 4325 0500
www.argenmove.com

Over the past 6 years we have lugged our kitchen stuff, towels, sheets, art, rugs, (all the stuff that make are home here, our home) very heavy suitcase, by suitcase. Never charged a penny at the airport, except now we have to pay extra $ for the suitcases. I think still cheaper than shipping.
We bought all our furniture here, and there really is some nice stuff to buy.
Nancy

Best answer is to check with a good despancate. They know all the current regulations , and some have special relationships with customs , therefore getting your things through. I know of a consolidator in Miami , who may be able to help/ PM me if you want contact info. Not impossible , and with the right people , not terribly expensive.

You can talk to this people, they are extremely knowledgeable and also personal friends http://www.dinamolog.com.ar/

Back