Should I move to Buenos Aires in the next few months?

Batistuta97

Registered
Hey! I asked this question in some of the expat Facebook groups but answers were pretty vague. Hoping for more insight here.

I'm a Brit currently living in Australia. I'm currently waiting on a transfer within my company to move to BA. I'm just wondering how confident you're all feeling in how Argentina will handle the pandemic through 2021? Would you move to Argentina now if the situation was as it stands?

Thanks in advance

Hey! I asked this question in some of the expat Facebook groups but answers were pretty vague. Hoping for more insight here.

I'm a Brit currently living in Australia. I'm currently waiting on a transfer within my company to move to BA. I'm just wondering how confident you're all feeling in how Argentina will handle the pandemic through 2021? Would you move to Argentina now if the situation was as it stands?

Thanks in advance

Stay in Australia this year and move next summer, Jan-Feb.

Thanks in advance
In regards to timing:
  • Technically you should be able to do it as part of an intracompany transfer. Otherwise almost all foreigners are banned from entering with few exceptions given COVID situation.
  • Moving yourself and your things may be more complicated due to a lack of flights between Australia and the continent at the moment, meaning a huge detour through North America or Europe unless LATAM resumes flights to NZ/ Australia from SCL in July as planned.
  • Given travel restrictions, don't expect to be able to explore the region any time soon.
  • Although no longer in lockdown, Argentina has very high levels of COVID infection and it will be a slow road to recovery in 2021/22.
    • Like Australia, lockdown rules etc. can change overnight. But unlike Australia, the government is very unpredictable and 9 out of 10 times they fail at whatever they try. Remember that we had the world's longest lockdown last year just to end up like this anyway.
  • We are enduing perhaps one of the worst economic crises in the history of the country with a lot of poverty. Not a "happy sight" on the streets or a fast solution in sight.
  • Capital controls are severe and likely to be more severe in 2021 as businesses get limited access to dollars for imports. Getting money in and especially out of the country will be a constant headache. Getting imported goods you are accustomed to will be even more difficult.
    • Inflation continues to be over 50% and this year is expected to be worse. Meaning you will want to structure your remuneration package very well to avoid ending up with too many useless pesos in your account without cutting yourself short since monthly price increases are real (IF you are authorized to buy dollars, you will be limited to US$200 a month or need to use more complicated mechanisms to get more.)
COVID aside, Argentina will still be mess as it always is and work-wise it is at least 10+ years behind the "first world" in terms of access to technology and innovation and 30+ years in terms of productivity. Pack a lot of patience and resilience if you do decide to come and be prepared to value lifestyle over work and material goods. Will be an adventure.

Thanks in advance
Argentina is a coveted destination for transferred employees and consultants. I asked colleagues before coming here and without exception they recommended coming here. It's surprising given the constant negative publicity, but I'm happy after more than 3 years and multiple crises here, and I'll stay longer if it's possible. Buenos Aires is really a very nice place to live for an expat.

If you're coming on a company transfer, you don't need to worry about a lot of stuff, your company will sort out flights, timing, visas, hopefully a place to stay for the first month or so until you've had a chance to look around here for a more long term apartment. Ideally your company will have a local partner that will help with the bureaucratic stuff, help get your visa, get a bank account, and so on so you're legal here. You might even be set up with a local onshore contract so you'll pay local taxes, and have local health insurance (which is not bad). All that should be a given, otherwise you'll find yourself here where things are normally difficult, and more so in the pandemic. Ask for the most complete package possible, leave as little as possible to be done by you here.

As for the rest? Well, we're in a pandemic, no lockdown now, but autumn will be here from March or April and things may be different. A vaccination program is starting, but as in most places there are problems. Will you be working remotely? Here home office is very common right now, for those who can, and companies are selling off office buildings where they can. If you think you might be working remotely look for a place to stay with at least a big balcony or maybe a private terrace, jacuzzi, or pool, all those are available in central Buenos Aires areas. As for the rest, I wouldn't worry, earning in USD, or even ASD you don't care too much about the exchange rate, you'll be able to live very well compared to almost anywhere else.

Do it for the experience.. what industry are you in - I wasn't aware of many companies who do business in both Australia and Argentina.

Back