Sick n tired of verdulero cheats...

Celia

Registered
......the ones who try to charge me 25 a kilo for lemon or morron when it's 8 or 10, or 25 pesos for 3 lettuces, a few onions and a banana. Yes I know I have a "cara de plata" but I'm tired of having to boycot so many places where they think I won't notice a 100% mark up!!!!

Not to mention the carniceria where they assaulted my friend (I had warned him they would short change him and he dared to stand his ground & ask for his correct money back so 3 guys threw him into the street).

Buy your veggies from MercadoPremium.com awesome quality, excellent prices ;) Sorry about your friend :(

I just registered and will try them, still like to buy daily stuff and support my barrio...I do have 2 I can trust and usually avoid the others.

There's worse : back in 2003, I came here with my dog from France and he died here in 3 months (osteosarcoma on the spine : one of the worst cancers).

The day I took him for the "final shot", they charged me 700 pesos for a basic cremation (weight : 50 pounds). Nowadays that I know well the country, the prices as of today of such a cremation for this weight are around 100 pesos (paid 70 pesos last year for a 30 lbs dog) therefore back in 2003, price was certainly not 700 pesos but rather 40 or 50 !

They took advantage that I was crying so much. Que "HDP" no?!

Celia said:
I just registered and will try them, still like to buy daily stuff and support my barrio...I do have 2 I can trust and usually avoid the others.
** sigh ** Unfortunately you are living in a " hot " spot. I am sure you are most likely the only English speaking expat in the whole barrio, and people tend to think that because you speak English, you are dumb and willing to pay whatever prices for s**t stuff. In other areas of the city, prices are higher in general but since there are so many tourists and expats ( English speaking ) they have learned that they are not idiots. **sigh** It sucks but there are always ways to avoid being scammed, such as ordering online, comparing prices, etc. Don´t let idiots f**k around with you ;)

My advice is always to ask how much something costs before you ask for it to be bagged. That way if they tell you $25 pesos for three lettuce plants, you can mention what you know to be the going rate, and if they don't budge you tell them why you're leaving and why you won't be back.

What barrio are you staying in? I know there are certainly places where this is a bigger problem than others.

Just stick with the ones that treat you well. They know how to have a business. Its not by ripping people off but by being fair and polite to your customers.

Wow this has yet to happen to me at a verdulería! At least that I know of. I´ve never been charged outrageous prices. What neighborhood DO you live in??

I think in the touristy neighborhoods its actually worse, because they hear a funny accent and ASSUME you are a tourist. And tourists generally WILL pay whatever price for stuff, just because they don´t have any idea of what the real price should be. And people take advantage of that. Often the tourist will never find out, so although it is very unethetical, nobody really gets hurt.

I remember once in the feria in plaza francia Ì asked for the price of a little purse, and they told me 60 pesos. I walked away and decided not to buy it because it seemed very expensive. A week later I went back, I passed by the same stand, and heard an Argentine lady ask about the price, and they told her 20 pesos. I then bought the purse for 20 pesos.

So I do think this happens more in areas where they see tourists all the time...

I believe that Celia is right on the money about this problem in Constitution as this is much more obvious in the poorer neighbourhoods where resentments are much much higher and a foreigner in their midst creates this attitude.

I have noticed this in Monserrat and Constitution from my rare business forays .

Celia said:
......the ones who try to charge me 25 a kilo for lemon or morron when it's 8 or 10, or 25 pesos for 3 lettuces, a few onions and a banana. Yes I know I have a "cara de plata" but I'm tired of having to boycot so many places where they think I won't notice a 100% mark up!!!!

I always ask for the price before I buy anything at the verduleria. That way, if you don't like the price they give you after weighing it on the scale, you can just walk away. And going to the same place frequently with a smile on your face should net you some "regular customer" treatment.

Back