SIM cards

shaneo

Registered
Well, it's less than two weeks and I'll be joining the expat community down in BA, i'm super excited!

I was wondering if someone could help me out on the easiest way to get a SIM card for my cell. My phone is unlocked and I just need to know the most reliable carrier(s) and what to ask for.

Thanks again,
Shaneo

Movistar.

Most days, they double your top-up amount. If you put 20 on the phone, they give you 20 more. Once in a great while they might even do a "triple."

Generally, chips run anywhere from 5 ARS - 12 ARS. If you walk down Corrientes (west of Callao & Corrientes), you should find one.

Is there a particular "band"/type of cell phone needed? Is it GSM? Quad band? I'm clueless about this, but would like to buy before we go...

I don't understand all of the tech lingo. However, I have a basic, cheap, essentially useless phone, and it works well.

If you're going to buy an unlocked phone, buy one that's cheap and unappealing. Otherwise, it's bound to get snatched.

BAwithkids said:
Is there a particular "band"/type of cell phone needed? Is it GSM? Quad band? I'm clueless about this, but would like to buy before we go...

Movistar uses GSM 850 /1900. Quad band simply refers to a phone that suports four different bands. For example, my phone supports GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900.

Just make sure whatever you buy is "unlocked", or that your carrier will unlock it for you if asked.

hey guys, a week from now, i will be joining the expat community as well. How is internet on mobile phones down there? Could I get internet on a pay-as-you-go phone?

I can only tell you about the offers of personal telecom:
1.) 19AR$ for 7 days of data (2GB cap)
2.) 15AR$ for 7 days of data (25MB cap) + 100 minutes (to personal and to landlines) + 100 text messages to any networks.

They can be activated via their website or by texting a special code to the number 152 ("ACT IM7" is the code for the first one).

Sometimes it works good, sometimes it works bad (slow, interruptions)

Here you see the bands that your phone needs to have: http://www.gsmarena.com/network-bands.php3?sCountry=ARGENTINA
If you plan using data, having the 3G bands too is important, otherwise it is terribly slow (like the first iPhone for example).

BAwithkids said:

All you need is a GSM phone (not CDMA because they don't have SIM cards and the phone is useless when you leave the country) so think AT&T and T-Mobile if you are in the US, and the phone needs to be unlocked, so buy it on ebay already unlocked or buy an unlock code for it online for like $5.

kianahaeri said:
hey guys, a week from now, i will be joining the expat community as well. How is internet on mobile phones down there? Could I get internet on a pay-as-you-go phone?

Yes I know you can get data with Claro Prepaid

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Expat Life 4
C Newcomers Forum 4
T Expat Life 8
R Newcomers Forum 9
Z Newcomers Forum 3
Back