Slingbox 350 Deal Today (Amazon) Great For Expat Tv Watching

Sleuth

Registered
If you have someone in the US who has cable TV and Internet, the Slingbox is a great way to stream TV (and sports) to Argentina. I have one that gets a lot of use during college football season. :)

Anyhow, Amazon has their lowest price ever today on the Slingbox 350 - $99. It might be a good time to get one sent to someone in the States... Here's the link :
http://smile.amazon.com/Sling-Media-SB350-100-Slingbox-350/dp/B009FU8BTI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397740999&sr=1-1&keywords=sling+media+slingbox+350

If a friend hooks up the sling box to his system, can he watch his channels and I watch different channels. Would I affect him in any way?

Thanks, Tom

If a friend hooks up the sling box to his system, can he watch his channels and I watch different channels. Would I affect him in any way?

Thanks, Tom

The slingbox is great but you are restricted to watching whatever is on the cablebox that it is connected. So when I access my slingbox that is in my parentś house, I see whatever they are watching but I can change the channel to what I want to see. But then they can turn it back to what they want to see. Basically it is like fighting over the remote. But I use the slingbox all the time to watch tv on my iPad, iPhone, laptop or desktop.

I looked into having Slingbox installed in a friends house in the US. We wanted to separate it from their current tv service but the content providers installation fees were very hIgh and they would have to remember to reboot the Slingbox periodically.

i have never been able to understand , how the slingbox actually works? Does the TV and the cable have to be switched on and running for 24 hours in my parents house? So that I can watch it any time, I want to? What kind of network/broadband speed is required here in BA and there in US, to make this work smoothly?

And the slingbox and its equipment has to be installed here in BA or in my my parents house or in parts of the slingbox equipment in both the places?

My experience with slingbox.
Have used slingbox for over six years in Argentina and has not failed and very satisfied. Recently upgraded to their latest and greatest slingbox 500 and its picture quality is beyond my expectations. The 500 is wireless, quality is the same as the 350 (not wireless). As for the cablebox/receiver, an additional box can be added to an existing family/friends account for about $10.00 a month. Allows for a dedicated cable/satellite receiver so you watch any channel. The big deal is upload speed at the point of origin, where the slingbox is located, my experience, need at least 3mbs. For me, am very satisfied. Use it with my iPad app for appletv (airplay) and it still amazes me. Quality has improved 10 fold with the latest models: 350/500.

My experience with slingbox.
Have used slingbox for over six years in Argentina and has not failed and very satisfied. Recently upgraded to their latest and greatest slingbox 500 and its picture quality is beyond my expectations. The 500 is wireless, quality is the same as the 350 (not wireless). As for the cablebox/receiver, an additional box can be added to an existing family/friends account for about $10.00 a month. Allows for a dedicated cable/satellite receiver so you watch any channel. The big deal is upload speed at the point of origin, where the slingbox is located, my experience, need at least 3mbs. For me, am very satisfied. Use it with my iPad app for appletv (airplay) and it still amazes me. Quality has improved 10 fold with the latest models: 350/500.

As I recall, when I inquired last year, the cost of the second box, plus the installation from DirectTV in Chicago was about $1000 plus the monthly cost of the channels I want to add. I'd be curious to know the complete total one time and monthly costs from Slingbox and the content providers.

i have never been able to understand , how the slingbox actually works? Does the TV and the cable have to be switched on and running for 24 hours in my parents house? So that I can watch it any time, I want to? What kind of network/broadband speed is required here in BA and there in US, to make this work smoothly?

And the slingbox and its equipment has to be installed here in BA or in my my parents house or in parts of the slingbox equipment in both the places?

The Slingbox sits between the cable box and the TV. It has a IR adapter that sticks on the cable box so you can do things like turn it on and off remotely, change channels, etc. (pretty much the same as having a physical remote). You install the Slingbox wherever the cable is. All you need to watch is the website or mobile app (costs extra).

If you have someone in the US who has cable TV and Internet, the Slingbox is a great way to stream TV (and sports) to Argentina. I have one that gets a lot of use during college football season. :)

Anyhow, Amazon has their lowest price ever today on the Slingbox 350 - $99. It might be a good time to get one sent to someone in the States... Here's the link :
http://smile.amazon.com/Sling-Media-SB350-100-Slingbox-350/dp/B009FU8BTI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397740999&sr=1-1&keywords=sling+media+slingbox+350

Yep, I do agree with DaVe's input about the Hopper Sling Box. On my last trip to Peru + Chile all I needed was to open the Dish account on my Sony Vaio laptop anywhere with wi-fi and start watching all my recorded program in HD..Or just keep on watching live TV broadcasted in the states!

http://smile.amazon....ia slingbox 350

Slingbox works anywhere not just from the US. I have one in the UK but never use it as the quality is pretty poor.

Back