So-Called 'good Conduct' Question - I've Searched, But...

rpkerston

Registered
Folks, there's always a wealth of very great advice available, here, so I am asking once more - 4 questions.

I was born in the US, but I have lived in Canada pretty much almost exclusively since 1980-ish (I realize that's fudgy-sounding - there's detail below, and elsewhere). I am currently a citizen of both countries, with the 2 passports. This MAY be relevant...

I am one of those who prepares in advance as much as possible - a hopeful residency; however, the research I'm doing doesn't seem - to me - to answer all of these questions (or, at least, I haven't found definitive answers, yet, myself):

Most information I'm finding seems to indicate that the so-called police 'certificate-of-good-conduct' (which is not actually such but is an actual criminal records check) is needed for a period of five years back. For me, that would involve simply asking from local police / RCMP. EASY.

That said, I noticed one post in these forums mentioning the trouble one person had from something listed back in the 1980s... I don't have that issue at all, myself, but it tends to indicate a possible greater-than-five-years need... or, perhaps, it only means that the record-check came back going that far into history, and something showed up for that particular individual... ? ? ?

And, of course, I hold a US birth certificate, which I think is requested for some procedures including residency / DNI processing. This I don't know...

It may be relevant to mention that I also have the luxury of holding a Canadian passport which, though not everybody knows this, actually permits the bearer to NOT list his / her birthplace. YES: This can cause problems, and Canadian citizens are advised not to do this but are permitted it if they choose to do so. I did. When electing this procedure, we are not only advised of a number of countries where entry may likely be refused (which doesn't appear to include Argentina) but we have to specifically indicate that we accept this responsibility before proceeding with this option. [For those wondering why I would even want to complicate my life in such a way: It has to do with being raised in the era of sudden-Havana-bound airplanes and watching TV news of those passengers having their passports checked on airplanes before being brought up to the front of the jet by the folks changing the plane's direction... if they were bearing US passports... Thus, my Canadian passport doesn't reveal anything US about me... While I realize that such specific situations no longer tend to occur, there still are other situations where showing only Canadian citizenship may sometimes be beneficial over showing other possibilities... if you know what I mean.] Hence, a question as to birthplace could arise - complicating where I need my records check(s) from?

So, to my questions (4):

1) Do I need to also get an FBI check in addition to my CANADA one simply because I will end up somehow needing to show where I was born? The five-year rule doesn't include the US, for me: The last time that I actually lived in the US was for less than 5 months in the late-1990s... and before that, for 6 months in 1992... before that, for 7 months in 1984, and before that, for 5 months in 1981 (as I fudged, above). I suppose some will say that I should be prepared for anything and for every eventuality, regardless (at greater cost and time to me!)... but I wonder if anybody actually knows with any more certainty? I suppose these details, here, may seem irrelevant... but if anybody knows the length of prior time needed for such a certificate, then I can figure out the rest; however, my birthplace may complicate things... that's the crux. I suppose the correct answer might possibly be 'just five years unless there's other information, such as other countries (US in my case)'... hence the detail I present here... but, gosh, maybe I have to consider the 4 months spent living in Mexico (1983) and the 10 months living in Vietnam (mid-1990s)? I suspect not... hence my question.

Also, 2) I see some references to 'long form' Birth Certificate in some places. I have a 'Certificate of Birth' from NY and I also have a 'Certification of Birth'. The 'Certification' shows only full name, date, place, full, correct actual certificate number and it does have the official raised seal of the Great State (or is it city) of NY. The 'Certificate' ALSO has all of the mother and father, plus doctor and time, weight details and is much more complete (and also bears the seal)... Would the 'Certification' do if it has the raised seal? I have reasons for preferring to use that one...

And, 3) Has anybody seen cause for concern with Canadians bearing passports without birthplace listed (as mentioned above)? I DO have the opportunity to change this as I will be renewing in April - so, if needed, I can change this. I'd prefer to keep things as they are...

Finally, 4) Because I see that a period of several months to receive it and finish the process is sometimes involved, I am currently planning to do this procedure from here, before leaving - it seems easier, here - but then, I wonder: Does arranging for these from here cause problems because it wasn't done after I'd left and the officials in Argentina want to see the remainder of my time, here, before my leaving as well? In other words: MUST I obtain the certificate FROM Argentina? Or, is it possible before going? (It sure seems a lot easier to do it from here.)

Many thanks, as always - and please forgive me if I have somehow managed to overlook these answers elsewhere, or if I seem stupid in some way, here. It's possible...

Paul

PS: I know that whether from Canada or the US, I need the apostille, as well. I have to add that time for that, too... but should I do it all before I go or wait and do it with help from here but once I'm down there? It's complicated!

If you are going to do it in Canada, go to the consulate and ask. There word is law. If you are going to do it here, same thing.
I would say to just get the police report from the place you lived for the past 5 years and correct your Canadian passport to show your place of birth, it will make things easier. And they prefer Canadians to USers.
Also, how will you get residency? (pensioners visa, work visa, married to an Argentine, etc). I would get everything there before you come down, it can all be done the week before you leave. In NY the apostille takes a few days, and it can be rushed.
Also, be prepared for this: you ask, research, and then when you actually do the paperwork, they ask for something else.

Ah, yes, Montauk_Project: The ol' Agent 86 "Which wicket to visit, this time, to get which answer is the right one?" question... The only thing constant is the constant stage of change. I know... one can never be fully prepared: One can fuss and not need to have; or, one can be cavalier and discover true diligence required. Apathy NEVER works, so I'm trying to close most gaps, now... and just have to presume SOMETHING still will rear its head in my path.

Ah, well... I willingly (and knowingly) elect for this by going!

Thanks,

Paul

Paul , suggest you contact an migration expert Bajo_cero may know the answer. Well intention ed comments from Board members are just that.

Rich One: There are a couple of individuals whose regular comments within these forums I've followed. I couldn't agree with you more. I shall do exactly that. MUCH obliged!

Paul

I can give some advice about #1, as related to the REASON for thinking you may need to get an FBI check as well.

I'm the one that wrote about something happened in the 80's coming back to bite me. The only reason that was a problem for me was because the FBI sent it in their report and the judge here decided to give t some weight for a short time. There is no requirement that I'm aware of that you provide a history of more than 5 years. If you were resident in Canada for longer than that, as far as I know you don't need an FBI report to cover any longer period of time. I'm NOT saying you don't need an FBI report (but I doubt it) - since I wasn't resident anywhere else but the US and here, ever in my life, when I applied for residency here, I didn't need to think about the issue and therefore didn't research it. For all I know, there may be a requirement that you have to include a report from the country of your birth as well (but I've never heard of such a requirement and I doubt it exists - up to you to verify that particular item).

The police report thing needs to go to DFAIT and then every piece of paper needs to go to Arg embassy in Toronto, or Montreal if you're from Quebec and Maritimes. Toronto office serves rest of Canada. You need embassy seal on every doc issued by Canada and then you'll need everything translated before submitting. However, do you even qualify to apply for residency on your own? If not you're getting way ahead of the game. Get your USA birth cert, and you can get whatever seal you need for that. Renew your CAD passport and yes list birth city because Argentina is picky about everything matching, I've heard horror stories about delays just because of women's maiden names showing on birth cert and married on passport. If you submit in Argentina your criminal report for Canada is only valid as long as you don't step foot back in the country since it was issued and stamped by DFAIT and the Ath embassy, I went back in btwn and fleas warned by guy who took in my papers at migraciones that it may cause problems, for me it didn't but like anything in Argentina it all depends on the mood of the guy working on your file.

But how are you qualifying for residency in the first place? The items needed can vary from category to category

Sorry typing on phone, the crim record stamps from DFAIT and the ARG embassy only valid if you havent traveled back to Canada since; this applies only if you end up submitting paperwork in Argentina.

ElQueso: Indeed, thanks for weighing in on your post - much appreciated. As I had tried guessing ahead of time, your issues were simply that such report was the only one you needed but it went back that far. So, the only reason I would therefore need US FBI is if the birthplace country became an issue, but with ~34 years (though broken a bit) of living in Canada, once I head south, it probably won't become an issue... depending (always) upon which person I happen to be talking with in a departmental agency, down there! :)

syngirl: Indeed, I am aware of the differing 'rentista' and 'retiree' residency categories and requirements, as well as the student and work visas, plus the DNI. Further: You're correct (though it isn't yet cart-before-horse): I do not need all of this yet... I'm simply figuring out what might be helpful to BRING versus to try to GET FROM THERE... I haven't decided which among the options available to me to consider pursuing, yet, but I can state categorically that I won't be studying or working; and I've read the very long thread of 1.5 - 2 years ago, now, about decrees, law changes, so-called 'perma-tourists' etc. The oyster that my world may prove to be has me yet figuring these details out. As you might imagine, considering the range of options possible for me, and thinking through what they require and what they entail, is the same conundrum for many of us - and I'm just putting together in my head what I need to do in advance, while I still can do it up north, before heading south. Thanks for the DFAIT and Embassy items: I'd noticed the SecState requirements in pursuit of the FBI info, but hadn't realized that, of course, DUH: it's the same thing for Canada - just with different names for the departments.

APPRECIATIVELY to all,

Paul

If you are concerned about the FBI check, I would go ahead and have the fingerprints taken. It takes 2 months to process anyway, so if they do turn around and tell you it's necessary, you can just go ahead and continue with that once you get down here. Of course if time isn't of issue and you don't want to go through the extra hassle, then you can just wait until you get here and see what they tell you.

Also know that the background checks don't last forever. They may only be valid 3 (or 6?) months after you get it and if you return to your country before finalizing the process, they will be invalid, so don't plan too far ahead.

Back