So coronavirus will magically leave Argentina on April 13?

Yea, I'm curious - if USA had cases much earlier than Argentina, you'd think it would be extended. So if USA ends April 30th, Argentina will be 2-3 weeks behind, right?

First US case was January 19th. US is now extended to April 30th, with 155k+ cases and 2800+ deaths. Any end date in April is ambitious.

Going to be winter I'm Argentina soon...

Logically this will continue until winter as the peak season for influenza is June til August . Up to now in Europe and now South America all the countries have extended the quarantines . I cannot see this ending until a long time and this will cause the death of the small business class who employ 50 percent of argentinians .

Let's be clear about what is going on here. The quarantine has only one purpose: to try to create a situation where the many people who are going to die (primarily people aged 60+) do so in hospitals under the care of doctors and nurses over a period of 12 months, instead of dying in the next six weeks in their homes or in hospital waiting rooms. That is as true here, as it is anywhere else in the world.

Nobody pretends that the virus will be exterminated in Argentina on April 13, or on any other day. Any date that the official quarantine ends is too soon. Here, in the US, in Europe. Everywhere. Even after it ends, whatever day that may be, we are all still in quarantine. And for those of us aged 60+, that quarantine is even more important. People will naturally try to resume their former lives the day the quarantine lifts. They won't be able to sustain it for long, when they realize the people around them who are doing the same, are becoming gravely ill, and, in too many cases, dying.

No social or economic activity that depends on people coming physically together is going to be possible for many months, anywhere in the world, regardless of the day an official lockdowns, quarantines, or social distancing are lifted. Entire industries (such as hospitality, and airlines) will not restart. These activities will only become possible when there is a vaccine, or when herd immunity starts to have a major impact.

We need to start getting our heads around this. And getting ready for it.

^Agreed. I do wonder about international flights. Will Argentina accept incomers from the US by that time?

Do we even necessarily assume that any airline will be flying anyone to and from any country in the world? Or that there will even still be airlines. To prepare for what is coming, we need to start questioning whether some of our basic assumptions about the things that exist and happen in the world (like airplanes, migration, international air travel) will still be valid several months or a year from now.

Back