So, it looks like I'll be canning...where can I find the supplies to can?

rob0001

Registered
My dill pickle question has brought me to the canning question. My mother would be so pleased, lol!
I searched, and the last canning answer was in 2010.
Where can I find canning supplies; jars, lids, large tongs, water-bath-sized pot, etc?
Thanks again for your help.

P.S. yes, I realize I can make refrigerator pickles but I'm not going to do that.

I agree about refrigerator pickles: what's the point of preserving if you then have to preserve the preserves?

I have never used proper preserving jars: I've always recycled used 1 and 2lb jars and the dimpled lids on most of them nowadays make it easy to check the seal. I appreciate patiently building up your stock of used jars isn't exactly hitting the ground running but if you buy products in jars and ask your friends and neighbours to save jars for you it won't take that long. Remember to bribe them with samples of your production!!! Other things you will find from catering supply shops. There are a surprising number of these small businesses all over the city and there's bound to be one near you. I forget the exact address but the one I use is on Beiro between Lope de Vega and Devoto Shopping and there are several more in the Microcentro. I use a microwave oven for sterilising and the only thing I need that I haven't yet found here is a preserving funnel - bring your own if you are able to.

I use glass jars with a rubber seal and a metal clip / hinge that I got from Buenos Aires Bazar on Mercadolibre. Tramontina pots are available, in large, though not bath-size I think. Tongs will be available anywhere that sells BBQ supplies (even suprtmarkets, when the BBQ season starts).

Can be purchased at any forrajeria farm supply/animal feed/pet feed store. Any bazar home and kitchen supply, or most ferreteria hardware store. Now there are many brewing supply stores where more specialized things can be found.

Unfortunately there is no standardized system of ring/band and BPA-free seal system from USA brands like Ball in USA. Jars are easily reused, though best practice is to always buy fresh lids. I like the wide mouth jars 660ml which is the same some grocery products are sold in, but also new at the forrajeria, etc...

Tall cheap aluminum pots Olla Aluminio Gastronomica 30lts or more for water bath. Search Mercadolibre to get an idea on best height and width.

I still cannot find good tongs which are specially designed for lifting heavy jars from the boiling water.

I agree about refrigerator pickles: what's the point of preserving if you then have to preserve the preserves?

I have never used proper preserving jars: I've always recycled used 1 and 2lb jars and the dimpled lids on most of them nowadays make it easy to check the seal. I appreciate patiently building up your stock of used jars isn't exactly hitting the ground running but if you buy products in jars and ask your friends and neighbours to save jars for you it won't take that long. Remember to bribe them with samples of your production!!! Other things you will find from catering supply shops. There are a surprising number of these small businesses all over the city and there's bound to be one near you. I forget the exact address but the one I use is on Beiro between Lope de Vega and Devoto Shopping and there are several more in the Microcentro. I use a microwave oven for sterilising and the only thing I need that I haven't yet found here is a preserving funnel - bring your own if you are able to.
Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, I'm moving to BA in October and have no friends yet! I don't know who my neighbors will be, and I don't speak enough Spanish anyway, hahaha.
I will need to buy ordinary mason jars for now.

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, I'm moving to BA in October and have no friends yet! I don't know who my neighbors will be, and I don't speak enough Spanish anyway, hahaha.
I will need to buy ordinary mason jars for now.
There are no mason jars available. If they are found it is only a few as a novelty, and certainly not with the 2 lid canning system of bands and seals. What are found to buy new are the same jars of the grocery products, which is good for some recycling. I find most of these have too narrow a mouth, so I only search for the 660ml with 82cm wide mouth. @FrankPintor mentions “rubber seal and a metal clip / hinge” which sound good. I have only seen those in small quantities, and so was not sure if the gasket is food safe when used in high temperature water bath. I never researched those.

Many states in USA have a university or other group who explain the standards, online, for safety. Pickles in Vinegar are not risky, so there is some flexibility to stray from the guidelines. INTA in Argentina is similar. They will tell you the proper methods, ingredients, and I assume the best jars to use. https://inta.gob.ar/documentos/curso-de-elaboracion-de-conservas-caseras

Actually the gaskets for the jars I bought online are silicone according to the comments on the vendor's page, which is generally considered to be food-safe, and in any case not in direct contact with the contents of the jar. Sorry for the lack of clarity. The glass isn't tempered. I've boiled both jars and seals before using them.

Actually the gaskets for the jars I bought online are silicone according to the comments on the vendor's page, which is generally considered to be food-safe, and in any case not in direct contact with the contents of the jar. Sorry for the lack of clarity. The glass isn't tempered. I've boiled both jars and seals before using them.
They sound good if silicone. Better than the few I have for storing dried foods and Yerba.

Back