Soccer

Lance

Registered
Just joined Baexpats. My wife and I will be touring in Argentina for the month
of March and spending two weeks in Buenos Aires. I am a sports fan and would enjoy going to one or two soccer matches. Hoping to connect with someone who could get me started. Hopefully someone is going to the games and could help me out. I will be in Buenos Aires on March 13th.

Thanks, Lance

Its called Football (well, en espanol) Futbol here :)......

Who would you prefer to go and see? There are organised trips to watch Boca play, but they are heavily priced for the tourist market, and ordinary tickets for their games are hard to get hold off... There are always games on - Here are the fixtures for w/e of Sunday March 14th as a clue...

Chacarita Juniors - Independiente
More info River Plate - Huracán
More info Tigre - Boca Juniors
More info Racing Club - Argentinos Juniors
More info Vélez Sarsfield - Lanús
More info Estudiantes - Newells Old Boys
More info Godoy Cruz - Atlético Tucumán
More info Banfield - Arsenal
More info Colón - Gimnasia La Plata
More info Rosario Central - San Lorenzo
River, & Racing are both BsAs teams, and the Racing Match against Argentine Juniors would be relatively easy to get tickets for, and a safe game to go to....

Hope this helps a little.....

PS (The first team shown is the home team, as against in US Sports where they tend to show the home team second, i.e. San Diego @ Oakland)...

Liam:

Thanks for the excellent links. I will spend some time checking them out.
Do you follow one or two teams? Is it possible you have some British background and follow the EPL?

I am not interested in hiring some tour company to go to a few games. Are there scalpers at the games? We are renting an apartment in Palermo, is one of the stadiums in that area or are they all on the subway lines? You mentioned that some games would be easier to get into then others, can you suggest one early in the March 15th week.

Are you a jogger/runner? My wife is training for a 1/2 marathon in Oregon in May, and wants to keep training while we are traveling. If yes, is there a running club that meets in BA that she could connect with, or are there trails that you could recommended?

Thanks,

Lance

I have been to a million games in BA and have been to most stadiums but if you are not familiar with Argentina and/or don't speak Spanish I would not reccomend to go to games in the province(like Racing). It's just not the same as going to games in Capital.

It's a lot harder to get taxi's, the place is more unpredictable, public transport is less available and sometimes more dangerous

If I am in BA for just 2 weeks I would go to River or Boca, they are generally safer(especially River) for tourists.

If you go you should just go the stadium before the game you can buy a platea ticket(I would not recommend popular, where in general the hooligans and lower class go). Prices are around 100 to 150 peso and normally you get good seats and it's safe

Hi Junkie, well, as I live in the Province, in Avellaneda, I take issue with your point about Racing, and also I do not agree that it is "safe" to go to Boca on your own. I have been to a few games of Boca, but with local friends and I keep my mouth shut and smile.

But I do agree that the platea is the place to go, and the River v Huracan game would be a very good match to go to, as there would be no hooligan threat, and the match is unlikely to be a sell out - plus it's nearer to Palermo, where the OP is staying.

I am actually Irish, but lived in England for many years, and yes, I follow the EPL exensively. Thankfully, local TV loves the EPL and we get virtually all the big matches live down here. I am a Liverpool Supporter, which has added benefits here, as three Argentine players are presently in the Reds First Team, including he national captain.

As for running, yes, I am a runner, and also training for a target race, the Rosario Marathon in June, so would be happy to point your good lady in the right direction. As I live outside the Capital (albeit only 30 minutes away, with great public transport links) I don't run with the groups of ex pats who live out in Palermo etc... I hash with eth Buenos Aires Hash House Harriers, and if you have arrived by Sunday the 14th, we have the St Patricks Day Run on the Sunday morning, from Accassuso, just a short trip from Palermo by train. I can fill you in nearer your trip - Plus its a good way to meet local runners....

There is a group called Vamos Running Club which has recently started a little running group from Plaza Italia a couple of days a week, but I am afraid I know little of their activities, they are linked to a Spanish Language School - There is a post on here about their plans. Having said that, I am free from the beginning of March, and would be happy to meet up with your wife for a run, and yourself of course for a drink and chat about football.......

All the best......

Boca is definitly more dangerous then River but if you go for the platea ticket they take you to a quiet part of the stadium and normally it's safe.

I have been to both Racing and Indep games and it's definitly not a place where it's safe, especially not at night. I have been here a long time, go to games all the time but I am not the typical tourist.

Paternal(Argentinos), Parque Patricios(Huracan), Lugano(San Lorenzo) are not places you want to be, especially at night if you don't know the place, the country and/or you don't speak Spanish

From a safety point of view River or maybe Boca are the best choices, and they are the 2 bigest teams as well

Hey Lance, search for Vamos Running Club on this forum. We meet 3 times a week for runs around different parks in the city. If you are going to be in Palermo it will suit as we meet at Plaza Italia during the week. For more info PM me if you cant find the old thread...

Futboljunkie:

Thanks for the useful info. Sounds like smart decisions are required to attend the games. I am still interested in going, unfortunately the one that seems best to get me started (River vs Huracan) happens on the same day we arrive. The best city one and probably the hardest to get into, is between Boca and River on the 20th. What would you recommend? It looks like there are no games from the 14 - 19th. Are you going to the Boca game on the 20th?

Again, thanks for helping em out.
Lance

Futboljunkie said:
I have been to a million games in BA and have been to most stadiums but if you are not familiar with Argentina and/or don't speak Spanish I would not reccomend to go to games in the province(like Racing). It's just not the same as going to games in Capital.

It's a lot harder to get taxi's, the place is more unpredictable, public transport is less available and sometimes more dangerous

If I am in BA for just 2 weeks I would go to River or Boca, they are generally safer(especially River) for tourists.

If you go you should just go the stadium before the game you can buy a platea ticket(I would not recommend popular, where in general the hooligans and lower class go). Prices are around 100 to 150 peso and normally you get good seats and it's safe

Pez:

I have passed on your information to my wife "the runner". She will contact you about meeting up with your group.

Lance

pez said:
Hey Lance, search for Vamos Running Club on this forum. We meet 3 times a week for runs around different parks in the city. If you are going to be in Palermo it will suit as we meet at Plaza Italia during the week. For more info PM me if you cant find the old thread...

Liam:

Great help. Both you and futboljunkie make it clear to be smart about going to some stadiums. The best game discussed was the River - Huracan game, unfortunately we just arrive on that day, and there are no games from the 14th to the 19th? The Boca/River game should be hard to get into and could be a a little crazy?? I don't know Argentina Futbol so I'll let you tell me if I am right. Not sure what my alternative is?

I passed on the St. Pat's Day Run idea to my wife, she is the runner. What is the distance or distances? Which direction from BA are you? I found the Hash House Harriers website, looks interesting. I did not realize it was an official organization. Do you follow the same format?

Got to go, errands to run !!

Thanks again,

Lance

Liam3494 said:
Hi Junkie, well, as I live in the Province, in Avellaneda, I take issue with your point about Racing, and also I do not agree that it is "safe" to go to Boca on your own. I have been to a few games of Boca, but with local friends and I keep my mouth shut and smile.

But I do agree that the platea is the place to go, and the River v Huracan game would be a very good match to go to, as there would be no hooligan threat, and the match is unlikely to be a sell out - plus it's nearer to Palermo, where the OP is staying.

I am actually Irish, but lived in England for many years, and yes, I follow the EPL exensively. Thankfully, local TV loves the EPL and we get virtually all the big matches live down here. I am a Liverpool Supporter, which has added benefits here, as three Argentine players are presently in the Reds First Team, including he national captain.

As for running, yes, I am a runner, and also training for a target race, the Rosario Marathon in June, so would be happy to point your good lady in the right direction. As I live outside the Capital (albeit only 30 minutes away, with great public transport links) I don't run with the groups of ex pats who live out in Palermo etc... I hash with eth Buenos Aires Hash House Harriers, and if you have arrived by Sunday the 14th, we have the St Patricks Day Run on the Sunday morning, from Accassuso, just a short trip from Palermo by train. I can fill you in nearer your trip - Plus its a good way to meet local runners....

There is a group called Vamos Running Club which has recently started a little running group from Plaza Italia a couple of days a week, but I am afraid I know little of their activities, they are linked to a Spanish Language School - There is a post on here about their plans. Having said that, I am free from the beginning of March, and would be happy to meet up with your wife for a run, and yourself of course for a drink and chat about football.......

All the best......

Back