Spanish evening/part time course?

Debster

Registered
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I have just moved here and are starting to get ourselves organised. He will work from home, I am hoping to find a job teaching English (currently doing a TEFL course). We are both from the Netherlands.
A question I have is: does anyone know a good EVENING or at least extenive course in Spanish? All the courses I find seem to be 20-hour a week, very intensive courses. We are are looking for a course for 5 hours a week or something, not a full immersion course.

Thanks!

Deb

Think about engaging a tutor. Learning individually is faster and more certain, and you may set the hours.

As I've written before, I've my own tutor to thank for a comparatively rapid movement from near ignorance of Spanish to near fluency.

RWS: how much is it per hour for a private tutor.. I am wanted to learn spanish, but i cant concentrate for the 4 hours each day of classes i have been taking, 2 hours are about max for me, so am thinking of a tutor, but dont have lots of spare money to spend..

RWS - just curious - how long did it take you to go from near ignorance to near fluency? Thanks!

I also considered a tutor - I am sure it is a key to fast learning - but would prefer to do a course because that seems a good way to meet people...

davonz said:
RWS: how much is it per hour for a private tutor.. I am wanted to learn spanish, but i cant concentrate for the 4 hours each day of classes i have been taking, 2 hours are about max for me, so am thinking of a tutor, but dont have lots of spare money to spend..
If I remember correctly, a bit less than the equivalent of US$10 an hour for the professionally educated tutor who taught me; there were, however, people who charged as little as US$3 an hour and as much as US$50. I think my tutor's skill deserved a higher fee but was glad to pay so little for such good teaching.

I took hour-and-a-half or two-hour classes. The location and duration of instruction were set to be mutually agreeable.

Cheng said:
RWS - just curious - how long did it take you to go from near ignorance to near fluency? Thanks!
About three months. I'll plead middle-aged lack of resiliency (and, perhaps, too much sampling of the porteño nightlife), as Spanish is not a difficult language to learn.

RWS said:
About three months. I'll plead middle-aged lack of resiliency (and, perhaps, too much sampling of the porteño nightlife), as Spanish is not a difficult language to learn.

I'd love to know what your definition of "fluency" is, and how on earth you are "near it" in about three months....and also that you think you should be able to be near fluent in even less time than three months because Spanish is just so easy. :confused:

Debster, I'm looking for something similar to what you asked about. I'm going to Spanglish tomorrow night (Tuesday) to check it out but I'm also going to ask people there about whether they know of good group classes. I would prefer a group so that I can meet people, too.

If I find anything good, I'll try to let you know! Hope you'll do the same.

RWS said:
THREE MONTHS?!?!?!

I'm passing the 2 1/2 year mark and my Spanish is crapo more nights than it's not.

Often I'm complimented on my Spanish, and then they find out how long I've been here. And then I get bitched out. (It doesn't help, really. Quitcher bitchin'!)

Back