Specializing medicine in Argentina

Mar mar

Registered
Hi please can someone inform me if I am a foreign Medical student in my last year and i want to specialize and make medical residency in Argentin how could i apply and with whom should i contact to help me apply for the specialize?

You might want to contact the Hospital de Clinicas here in BA. It's a teaching hospital. It's a non profit public Hospital run by the UBA.
I've been there as a patient a few times and gotten very good service. Although it has fallen on hard times lately It is still highly regarded.
Do you speak Spanish ?.

Last edited:
You might want to contact the Hospital de Clinicas here in BA. It's a teaching hospital. It's a non profit public Hospital run by the UBA.
I've been there as a patient a few times and gotten very good service. Although it has fallen on hard times lately It is still highly regarded.
Do you speak Spanish ?.
Thanks for the information, i used to speak Spanish because i was in spain and Venezuela in my childhood but it became weak since i left Spain 12 years ago and didn't use the language so much this days

Just a few things in no particular order:

You will definitely need full command of Spanish at a high, technical medical level. Although the study of English is in the UBA medical program, this is to facilitate medical students ability to read and write scientific papers and participate in international projects etc.

Do you plan to practice medicine in Argentina after you qualify? This might affect the interest that the medical school shows in you. There are shortages building up in the availability of medical staff which can be attributed to at least two causes.

One is the horrendous toll Covid-19 has taken in the mental well-being of medical staff - including very junior medical staff - who had to work through those times. Many still feel shell-shocked from their experiences and as a result, quite a lot are leaving without finishing their courses.

Another factor is the bursary that medical students receive from UBA in lieu of a salary while they are still juniors or registrars. The money really isn't keeping up with inflation and doctors are leaving before completing their studies because they can't afford the monetary cost of continuing.

Just a few things in no particular order:

You will definitely need full command of Spanish at a high, technical medical level. Although the study of English is in the UBA medical program, this is to facilitate medical students ability to read and write scientific papers and participate in international projects etc.

Do you plan to practice medicine in Argentina after you qualify? This might affect the interest that the medical school shows in you. There are shortages building up in the availability of medical staff which can be attributed to at least two causes.

One is the horrendous toll Covid-19 has taken in the mental well-being of medical staff - including very junior medical staff - who had to work through those times. Many still feel shell-shocked from their experiences and as a result, quite a lot are leaving without finishing their courses.

Another factor is the bursary that medical students receive from UBA in lieu of a salary while they are still juniors or registrars. The money really isn't keeping up with inflation and doctors are leaving before completing their studies because they can't afford the monetary cost of continuing.
Thank you for sharing me your information, so as i understood that there is no salary for foreign doctors when they are specializing in the uba wright?and is Is there a problem if I do not have any experience in clinical skills, due to the Corona virus, as our medical admissions were canceled at my university when studying? Also i am trying to collect more information about specializing in Argentina because the specializing in my country is getting worse day by day and most countries are no longer admitting the medical specialties performed in my country because of the war.

As @Rich One has already said, you definitely need to establish a dialogue with the Facultad de Medicina at UBA. The long summer vacation in Argentina has already begun so expect long delays in everything but the sooner you get started the better.

From your first message I took you for a native English speaker but because of your later comments I would add the following:

If you are not already in communication with a community of people in Argentina who identify with your home country then I'd strongly suggest that you reach out to them now. I expect that you will find them strongly supportive and well organised.

All best wishes.

As @Rich One has already said, you definitely need to establish a dialogue with the Facultad de Medicina at UBA. The long summer vacation in Argentina has already begun so expect long delays in everything but the sooner you get started the better.

From your first message I took you for a native English speaker but because of your later comments I would add the following:

If you are not already in communication with a community of people in Argentina who identify with your home country then I'd strongly suggest that you reach out to them now. I expect that you will find them strongly supportive and well organised.

All best wishes.
Thank you so much for helping and giving me your time to answer my questions ❤️🙏i appreciate it❤️🙏🙏

Hi please can someone inform me if I am a foreign Medical student in my last year and i want to specialize and make medical residency in Argentin how could i apply and with whom should i contact to help me apply for the specialize?
If you don't hold the full medical degree to validate in Arg, you will most likely have to start from zero. If you do hold the degree and no experience ( clinicals ) you will have to do internships ( 3 years in Arg for general practitioner ). Only then you can apply for a specialized internship. Depending on where you have studied, validating your degree will be more or less difficult. Spanish will be tested if it is not your first language as well. An Arg. doctor with a specialty has usually studied for 6 years and hast at least 3 years of internship in a specific field.

Back