Sport and politics do not mix

perry

Registered
I like most Argentinian people found it highly offensive that the opening ceremony of the youth olympics in Buenos Aires was marred by politics . I believe that sports and politics should never mix . To use a opening ceremony with the eyes of the world on Argentina and to use this to promote abortion goes against the spirit of sport .The argentinian national anthem is sacred and not used to promote political idealogies irrespective of ones beliefs .

https://www.clarin.com/espectaculos...-torres-canto-mal-desubicada_0_j7Ghm1MYi.html
http://vos.lavoz.com.ar/musica/himn...gela-torres-le-paro-el-carro-eduardo-feinmann

Last edited:
It made you mention the issue on a forum, so maybe they achieved their goal. If everyone ignored it, they wouldn't achieve their goal.

Firstly her singing was poor she is no Montserrat Caballé, that opened the Barcelona Olympic Games...I blame the Olympic Committee they are solely responsible for the onstage activities. Like showing onstage a religious or political sign.
Angela Torres poor girl....

Firstly her singing was poor she is no Montserrat Caballé, that opened the Barcelona Olympic Games...I blame the Olympic Committee they are solely responsible for the onstage activities. Like showing onstage a religious or political sign.
Angela Torres poor girl....

Her voice has no passion at all and she was a terrible choice for Argentina . The olympic committee should not involve itself in politics as it goes against their own charter which is non political and non racial .

Last edited:
ah, you gotta love it when old men tell young people and women what the cant do.
Every sport is composed of human beings.
Who are, by nature, political.

Professional sport can include contracts forbidding certain speech.
Generally speaking, amateur sports participants are free to be political, emotional, bad singers, or anything else they want.

Personally, I will take political any day over sports.

ah, you gotta love it when old men tell young people and women what the cant do.

Generally speaking, amateur sports participants are free to be political, emotional, bad singers, or anything else they want.

If her politics had been ultra right wing, would it still have been OK?

What has being old got to do with this ? Most people in Argentina disagreed with this as per all the forums on all newpapers and blogs . A public event is not a political exchange and the spirit of sport has absolutely nothing to do with politics . Once again if this singer had a anti american emblem attached would you have been in agreement with this Ries as per your argument human beings are political and have the right to say whatever they want when they want .

If her politics had been ultra right wing, would it still have been OK?

Sporting events must be free of all political chatter as this is not the place to try to impose ones views regardless of ones beliefs .To condone this as a right to be political is like saying that she should have walked out with a sign saying that the Malvinas were Argentinian . Is this ok as well?

Actually as either public, or semi public, figures; sports people have a moral duty to leverage their relatively high levels of public exposure to benefit the population.

Most sports events have a 'national anthem' sung, which is an inherently political nationalistic act. So let's not pretend that politics isn't part of organized sports events from the start. Not seeing this only serves to protect the status quo of the political establishment (along with the 'circus' part of the same old and tired 'bread and circus' methodology)

Oh, and also let's not forget:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporting_boycott_of_South_Africa_during_the_apartheid_era

Cheers!

Back