Standstill due to the elections?

dani28

Registered
Is it just me or are many Argentines kind of in a ¨waiting in the wings¨ standstill moment right now, waiting to see what happens with the presidential elections before making just about ANY important move/decision/transaction in their day-to-day lives?

-I am currently in the interview/selection process with a company who has flat-out told me to expect that they will not be making their final hiring decision till later on because they are ¨waiting to see what happens with the elections¨

-A friend has said that he wants to see ¨what happens with the elections¨ before making any major purchase on imported items to see if the import/export laws change.

-Everybody I talk to thinks the dollar is going to hit record highs ¨because of the elections¨ and the peso will be very devalued.

What's everyone else's opinion and any predictions on what do you think will happen?

A friends friends, who is a realestate agent told me months ago that things had slowed down due to "people waiting to see what happens after the elections".. Her clients are the richer end of society, so dont know if this is true for the average BSAS resident...

Nothing will change, whoever wins the elections, eventhough Cristina will win it

davonz said:
A friends friends, who is a realestate agent told me months ago that things had slowed down due to "people waiting to see what happens after the elections".. Her clients are the richer end of society, so dont know if this is true for the average BSAS resident...

I have heard that real estate prices are expected to boom again. Probably because the elections are really close now...

But it is true : all major decisions seem to depend the results of the elections. On the other hand is it obvious that major decisions have to be taken in relation to inflation etc, no one will do anything that might damage his popularity before the elections.

So I guess we should all wait and see what happens 'after the elections'.

One of the major differences between developed and developing countries is the impact that politics has in the everyday life of its citizens. Here your hole life can change from one day to the next because of some new policy or decision.

So yes, whenever we are close to an important election there is a "wait and see" attitude on all major decisions.

I guess everyone´s expecting that after the elections, the govt will have to start combatting the inflation with some hard line economic policies that it can´t implement when they´re trying to be ´mrs niceguy´to impress the hoardes. My hesitation about making plans or purchases at the moment is actually due to waiting to see what my money is going to do in a few months, much more so than who´s gonna be in the pink house.

fedecc said:
One of the major differences between developed and developing countries is the impact that politics has in the everyday life of its citizens.
Really hate those labels, "developed" / "developing". Try to tell me that Argentina isn't a "developed" country compared to Kenya, where I spent two years.
(but not as bad as "third world", so kudos for not using that! ;) )

I look at it more like a bell curve, with the world's countries positioned somewhere along the curve relative to all other countries. That really is the closest you'll get to conveying an accurate measure of how "developed" a country is. And Argentina is definitely more towards the "developed" end of the bell curve.

deeve007 said:
Really hate those labels, "developed" / "developing". Try to tell me that Argentina isn't a "developed" country compared to Kenya, where I spent two years. (but not as bad as "third world", so kudos for not using that! ;) )

I look at it more like a bell curve, with the world's countries positioned somewhere along the curve relative to all other countries. That really is the closest you'll get to conveying an accurate measure of how "developed" a country is. And Argentina is definitely more towards the "developed" end of the bell curve.
I fully agree.

Argentina as I experience it, is an interesting mixture of generally first world in most towns - and genuine third world in villages and small provincial towns and the countryside (ploughing with horses, no internet, only phone in the village is a direct line to the police/bomberos).

Really hate those labels, "developed" / "developing". Try to tell me that Argentina isn't a "developed" country compared to Kenya, where I spent two years. (but not as bad as "third world", so kudos for not using that! )

My scale goes like this (i didnt invent it, its very common):
Developed countries: High standards of living, solid economies, stable government, etc.
Developing countries: Mid income countries, riskier and less stable economies and governments.
Underdeveloped countries: Low income countries, stuck with high levels of structural poverty.

In spanish it would be: paises desarrollados, en desarrollo y subdesarrollados.

Its not a perfect categorization but its the best one out there in my opinion.

Back