Starting Visa process while out of the country

legilber

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I believe I had read this before but can't find it again, so please don't kill me with not checking the boards because I've checked.

I had a conversation with HR regarding my visa as we still haven't started it and will be going home for 2 months while working remotely.

My questions is: can we start the visa process while I'm not in the country? Or do I have to be present for all the steps? Our HR girl wasn't positive so I wanted to reach out to the visa experts :)

Thanks!

Are you trying to start the visa process here while you are there?

I don't think you could have them start it here while you are there - how would you handle the background checks (both in Arg and in your home country)? Once you go back to the country that issued you your crim background, that invalidates the one you had previously issued.

Probably easier just to start it there in your home country - usually seems to be a much easier and faster process! I would recommend you do it in home country - have your potential employer prepare the precontrato, get together all the documentation showing they are registered to employ extranjeros, etc.

Ok great! I'll be in the States and will be fedexing all of my paperwork fo my company as they essentially said that I only have to be present to sign everything at the end. I've been told that I can have the FBI background check rushed. Is this correct? Just with an extra fee?

So I need them to have the precontrato and next week they're going to register to work with foreigners, so that will all be sorted out.

I'll be home for two months, so I was hoping we could at least make a dent in the process. So I just wanted to make sure its feasible.

1) There is no rush on the FBI report (you can ask to have it send as quickly as possible but I wouldn't count on it ;) ). And the report can take 3 months. You then have to have it apostilled which can take another few weeks. Then it will need to be translated in Arg by an approved translator.

2) There is no guarantee on how long it will take them to get registered to employ foreigners. It took our company months and months and multiple inspections (granted, that was probably b/c we were a foreign company and my employees work onsite with another company so it was a nightmare of paperwork)

3) If you are doing it in ARG , you will have to present your antecedentes penales from ARG - how will you do that from the US?

If you're only in the US for 2 months, you can certainly start the process (and should) but you will probably be back in Argentina before you even receive your required US paperwork. They need to start the registration process and get the stuff on their end and you can get the paperwork from the US sorted and then do it when you get back.

Great! Thanks so much for the help! Apparently its been a few years since they've hired foreign workers and as the process has changed, we're all taking a look at things.

Back