Staying Fit & Trim in BA

Daniel82

Registered
What’s the secret to staying fit/trim and relatively thin in BA? I find that Porteños eat and eat well, and, unless whatever meal I am observing them have that day at whatever restraurant/café is the only thing they will eat that day, I would say they eat quite robustly as well.
It’s also interesting to note the lack of obsession in the sugar-free, low carb, gluten-free obsession in the States here being close to non-existent.

Also gyms are available but the gym craze we see in the states is not the same, nor are the GNC/natural health supplement shops being on every corner.

So is there is in insider Porteño secret to how these model-Esque girls devour bifes de chorizo longer than their arms, pure de papa, and guzzle Malbec and stay so Devine?

Does the stress factor and walking almost everywhere play a factor?

Yes, the secret is "SMALL" portions unlike in States.

There was a study on Argentine women who had remained slim and fit while living in Arg but became fat when living in USA>> the reason found was the portion size!

I didn't notice any significant difference in portions size actually... They like to eat in Argentina and they eat well:) Though I myself don't eat much and tend to share meals with friends. I believe walking a lot does contribute to having a nice physical condition. What's more, they tend to cook for themselves and even if they don't, the food served in restaurants and cafes is whole with minimum of surrogates.

I'm guessing you guys don't get out of the city center much. People on the other side of General Paz aren't as fit and obesity is becoming a problem. When I first came here over 10 years ago, you hardly ever saw an obese person, now with cheap cuts, the influx of pizzerias, fast food, and bad eating habits (like drinking soda as if it were water), you see a lot more unhealthy people. Not as bad as the US, but definitely a noticeable change.

The well off stay fit the same as everywhere... Looks matter, they don't eat much (an outing is an exception) and they tend to be more beauty/health conscious. Eating a good quality steak isn't that bad for you... Walking everywhere helps as well.

Studies show obesity is on the rise in Argentina and Brazil. Especially childhood obesity.

Anyone who has been to Brazil lately (even a city like Rio) knows Brazil is past the point of no return. Unfortunately, Argentina is on a similar trajectory.

What's interesting is, there are more Crossfit gyms, supplement shops and health food stores than ever before. I think Buenos Aires will eventually become similar to the US, where you'll see more of two extremes: people are either REALLY fit or REALLY fat. A decade ago you almost never saw a super in-shape person. But you also never saw an obese person. Everyone was just "normal."

I can’t vouch for the studies but going to other parts of Argentina, you see a huge difference. Obesity in children and adults doesn’t seem to be a problem, yet, in the smaller cities and towns. We are in La Cumbre, where there are no US fast food chains, but a few ice cream shops, a few panaderias, and a few confiterias are the main attractions. During merienda, 2-3 people share a basket of facturas with tea or coffee. Entrees seem to also be shared between two or a few more often at restaurants where the portions are large, but typically portions seem to be for maybe a half liter of food, tops (which would seem normal for humans). It may also be due to the fact that dessert is not typically eaten late at night but around 4pm during merienda (at least out here).

Or maybe the mate...

Or it could be genetic makeup and all this weight control stuff is a waste of precious brain cells and money.

Several decades ago, most people around here were so thin, I would even dare to say, almost on the "anorexic" side... (specially women)
Now I look around and I see the mayority tends to be overweight (a little or a lot). It has been a very noticeable change for me.

it seems to me that many guys play football regularly...Im sure that helps

The time of day that a person eats makes a big difference in how/whether the energy is converted to fat. Eating most of your days calories earlier rather than later in the day keeps you trimmer.

all these are great bits of advice, however being large in Argentina is still not kosher...not at all.

Back