Staying For 6 Months

ophy

Registered
Hey there. I just recently arrived in BA yesterday and I have my apartment for 6 months. My passport only says im elligible for 3 months though. Is there something I can do to renew it? or do I just get fined when I leave back for the USA?

You can renew once at immigrations (search for where and how) for a 30-day extension. If you exceed by one day, you'll still pay the fine. You have to count the days, I think - 6 months, obviously, varies in the number of days depending on the number of days in those months. I think the actual time limit is 180 days (i.e., not 6 months, not exactly a half a year at 182.5 days, except leap years)

Some people make trips to Colonia (or leave Argentina for anywhere) for a day and come back in with a new stamp in their passport on reentry. It doesn't extend your visa, but when you leave, they look at the last stamp you have as to the date you were in the country.

Hey there. I just recently arrived in BA yesterday and I have my apartment for 6 months. My passport only says im elligible for 3 months though. Is there something I can do to renew it? or do I just get fined when I leave back for the USA?

Before the first 90 days are up you can go to the office of migraciones at Antártida Argentina 1355 and ask for the prorroga de permanencia which will extend your tourist visa by exactly 90 days from the date the prorroga is granted. It will be granted without any questions, but you should wait until you have less than five days remaining on the first ninety. If you already have a return ticket, do the math first so you wont "inadvertently" overstay the extension.
emo12.gif

The cost of the extension and the overstay fee are both (still) $300 pesos. You do not have go to Colonia, but you can if you want to.

Back