Steak is up. Expats are down.

Hard to access. For those who can't get into it, it says that prices of property are high. New expat buyers are less likely to be from the UK and US but more from places like France. Younger people are buying. They consider BA a good start up business location whereas the UK and US buyers were older and often retired looking for a nice, cheap place to live.

Sunday I had easy access to the article, today its behind a pay wall. Maybe its a weekend thing.

Or you can buy a studio or one bedroom apartment for under 85,000. $ U.S. if you don't need to live in a huge luxury apartment. And can retire comfortably in Buenos Aires on way less then the U.S.. Prices may be higher, but it is still cheaper than the States if you live modestly.

Sounds like a good thing to me- we get more motivated, smart, young go-getters as expats, rather than whiney bottom feeders.
I have certainly noticed this myself- I have seen a fair amount of old cranky guys (a category I fit in) move away or die off, and I have met more and more young immigrants who are starting businesses, having shows, making music, writing for magazines, exporting things they design and make here, and much more. Its better for the economy, and its better for the culture, in my opinion.
In fact, its exactly what the USA needs right now- many MORE young immigrants.
Oh well.

Or you can buy a studio or one bedroom apartment for under 85,000. $ U.S. if you don't need to live in a huge luxury apartment. And can retire comfortably in Buenos Aires on way less then the U.S.. Prices may be higher, but it is still cheaper than the States if you live modestly.

Under U$S 85,000? That seems low nowadays and in what condition would it be? How much to bring up to standard? And then there is the very serious issue of health insurance for retirees. US citizens have Medicare. Europeans are mostly covered by national health schemes. In Argentina you have to pay high premiums, if you are even allowed to join a plan. Public transport is free for seniors in many US cities. There are many other discounts that would be lost in Argentina. Depending on where you live in the US, life may be cheaper and easier for retirees than it is in BA.

We built this apartment years ago paid for. Whoot! Just remodeled the entire place after getting back from URU it cost more than what we paid to build the apartment. I think that pretty well sums it up.

Sounds like a good thing to me- we get more motivated, smart, young go-getters as expats, rather than whiney bottom feeders.
I have certainly noticed this myself- I have seen a fair amount of old cranky guys (a category I fit in) move away or die off, and I have met more and more young immigrants who are starting businesses, having shows, making music, writing for magazines, exporting things they design and make here, and much more. Its better for the economy, and its better for the culture, in my opinion.

Sounds familiar.....the older I'm getting the more my wife is getting fed up with my complaining about living here. :) I'm no bottom feeder though I more than pay my way.
You're right though, it's a country for young newcomers not old farts.

The biggest thing for me was learning about what a lot of Argentines consider OK with regards to quality of work.. "Doesn't have to be perfect" is a phrase my significant other told me when I protested about the quality of workmanship. Apparently the oven sticking out 2cm from the bench top was OK. The argument ends up going no where so its best to take a deep breath and just accept things aren't going to be what they can. I guess its hard to think differently if so many have not experienced how things can be. Requesting the builders to put a protective layer down on our wooden floors before painting/electrical work was too big of an ask. Nevermind using tape to ensure you don't paint electrical outlets or wooden window furnishings. Part of me thinks there is a massive opportunity to inovate and start businesses that offer a good product/service because whats available is severely lacking. It's not as if these products/services are cheap by any standard either which makes the whole thing so frustrating.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Expat Life 43
C Expat Life 3
Rich One Expat Life 58
EJLarson Food and Drink 0
Redbeanz Expat Life 29
Back