Steak is up. Expats are down.

I must admit, that how hard Argentines work did not affect my decision to buy an apartment in Buenos Aires.

The article is mainly pointing out that its not dirt cheap here anymore, like it was ten years ago, which of course, we all know.
And its saying that the city still attracts people to move here, but its a different sort of people than the ones who gravitate to dirt cheap.

I have spent time in a lot of places that were dirt cheap and full of low rent seeking expats, over the last 40 years.
By and large, I saw what the initial attraction was, and then I saw it ruined by drifting cheapskates.
There was a time when Sayulita, or Kuta Beach, were actually nice.
Then there were hippies with dogs wearing bandannas begging on the street, hungover from their "mushroom" omelettes.
I'll skip it, thanks.

I also remember 15 or 20 years ago when every recent college grad with no ambition was in Prague, drinking For-Ex discounted Czech beer.

People will still come to Buenos Aires, and a certain amount of them will stay, work, live, and buy places.
Its just the kind of people will change.

Wait long enough, and, perhaps due to recession, coup, climate change, or whatever the disaster of the month is, and BA may get really cheap again.
I am not waiting- I am enjoying it now.

The biggest thing for me was learning about what a lot of Argentines consider OK with regards to quality of work.. "Doesn't have to be perfect" is a phrase my significant other told me when I protested about the quality of workmanship. Apparently the oven sticking out 2cm from the bench top was OK. The argument ends up going no where so its best to take a deep breath and just accept things aren't going to be what they can. I guess its hard to think differently if so many have not experienced how things can be. Requesting the builders to put a protective layer down on our wooden floors before painting/electrical work was too big of an ask. Nevermind using tape to ensure you don't paint electrical outlets or wooden window furnishings. Part of me thinks there is a massive opportunity to inovate and start businesses that offer a good product/service because whats available is severely lacking. It's not as if these products/services are cheap by any standard either which makes the whole thing so frustrating.

Very true. I remember an Argentine colleague commenting to me quite a few years ago: "We are a country of mediocrities". I didn't really know what he meant then but over time I understood. Some people work a little better but on the whole you should expect below par standards accompanied by high prices.

They do not even understand plumb lines or chalk lines you are better off managing every project on your own. Laying out with guidelines and let them do the labor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Expat Life 43
C Expat Life 3
Rich One Expat Life 58
EJLarson Food and Drink 0
Redbeanz Expat Life 29
Back