Stolen phone on Subte

DwightB

Registered
I guess I may as well share this so someone else doesn't have this happen. Despite all my reading, and all my preparedness, I still got caught by the "do you know what time it is scam?" First, I'm so stuck between languages I didn't even realize he was speaking english until afterwards. Anyway, I looked at my Blackberry for the time and answered him. I then even put the Blackberry in another pocket so it would be safe. Alas, someone took it from my pocket anyway. Without me hearing the velcro too!! The point here is that by answering I tipped off that I had a Blackberry and that I was not from Argentina. And, I also let them know where it was when I put it away.

Anyway, just be careful out there folks. It's not violent but they are looking for you even if you don't think they are.

Dwight

Always a good spot for the pick pockets, the subte.
Saw a guy counting his money today in full view then got his Ipod out, tuned it in and stood listening to it.
Made me wonder, was he stupid, very clever, or was he trying to catch the criminals?

Sorry, that this happened to you. I have pretty much gone porteno when it comes to strangers. When they ask me something I say no and put my hands on my valuables. The subte can be impossiblez

Sorry you lost your Blackberry - not only for the cost of replacing it, but also for the loss of the personal stuff stored in it.

But people, please keep in mind that it takes the average Porteño a month's salary to buy a Blackberry or an iPhone locally.

Using those in the subway is like dangling filet mignon in front of a starving tiger.

JHB1216 said:
Sorry, that this happened to you. I have pretty much gone porteno when it comes to strangers. When they ask me something I say no and put my hands on my valuables. The subte can be impossiblez

Ditto..I have always been such a community person but Im becoming so cynical and look at people who stop and talk to me and my kids like they're out to rob me etc...it's so sad, I'm losing out as much as society but there's only so much kicks the dog can take before he knows he's going to be treated.

Funny true story... I was with an American client in my office a few weeks ago and he was telling me how he took the Subway now that taxi prices were increasing. Me personally I've never taken a subway in 7 years of living in Buenos Aires. I find taxis too darn convenient and quick so I've never taken a subway before in Buenos Aires and probably never will.

I warned him that he should be careful as several people I know have reported getting mugged in the Subway. My client is a pretty big guy and said that no way they would rob him. Long story short....a few days later he told me his Iphone got stolen in the Subway....

These thieves here are VERY good....Check out some of these videos to see just how good they are.

http://207.7.131.231/search/punguistas/1

earlyretirement said:
Me personally I've never taken a subway in 7 years of living in Buenos Aires. I find taxis too darn convenient and quick so I've never taken a subway before in Buenos Aires and probably never will.

Really? Wow, as a commuter I can say that without even considering money, the subway is 100x more convenient than ANY above ground method of transportation at rush hour.

PhilipDT said:
Really? Wow, as a commuter I can say that without even considering money, the subway is 100x more convenient than ANY above ground method of transportation at rush hour.

Yeah, I know it sounds strange. Especially because when I'm in cities like Paris, New York and London I use the subway quite a bit but I don't really find it convenient as I live in Recoleta and my office is also in Recoleta and there isn't a metro station nearby. There is always a taxi in the street on almost every corner so for me it just comes down to time savings. I don't really care about the difference in costs as the time savings is worth more. Also, while I'm in taxis I can still work on my Ipad, blackberry, Iphone...I wouldn't do that in the subway so it's just much more productive for me.

PhilipDT said:

I try to avoid the subte whenever possible especially during rush hour. The crowds are just too much for me. Taxis are impossible during that time and I suspect it might be faster just to walk then ride in one. But how do you stand the crowds on the subte?

mobri1130 said:
I try to avoid the subte whenever possible especially during rush hour. The crowds are just too much for me. Taxis are impossible during that time and I suspect it might be faster just to walk then ride in one. But how do you stand the crowds on the subte?

I can stand the subway because of all the time I save and I only have 6 stops. The streets are impossible during rush hour and the buses are far worse than the subway with people crawling over each other to get in and out of the bus.

Back