$$$ Stuck between a rock and an Argentine place...

Hey
I'm from the US, but at the end of November I am going to visit family in Australia. I teach English and all of my cash is in pesos. I had the great idea of sending it to my account via Western Union, I went to the nearest branch and got prices and figures...returned today and apparently a law was passed YESTERDAY restricting transfer of money via Western Union. I know a place that I can get dollars (under the table...) I am a student but haven't been granted my visa as of yet and will be all of 9 days beyond my visa expiration I am a bit nervous about rocking up to the airport with 2g in greenbacks....any ideas? Has anyone tried to exchange pesos-dollars in Uruguay? Maybe Western Union option there too?
Ideas? Thoughts?
Gracias
Zac

zacearlwanderstheworld said:
Hey
I'm from the US, but at the end of November I am going to visit family in Australia. I teach English and all of my cash is in pesos. I had the great idea of sending it to my account via Western Union, I went to the nearest branch and got prices and figures...returned today and apparently a law was passed YESTERDAY restricting transfer of money via Western Union. I know a place that I can get dollars (under the table...) I am a student but haven't been granted my visa as of yet and will be all of 9 days beyond my visa expiration I am a bit nervous about rocking up to the airport with 2g in greenbacks....any ideas? Has anyone tried to exchange pesos-dollars in Uruguay? Maybe Western Union option there too?
Ideas? Thoughts?
Gracias
Zac

Buy a money pouch to wear under your clothes. Perfectly safe and legal.

Don't tell anyone you have it and conceal it somewhere on you. It's perfectly legal. I frequently fly back with USD just to have here. Anything under 10K you don't even have to declare.

Yup. Just carry it on yourself

Please, elaborate more on the new law affecting Western Union. I send and receive quite a bit of cash by WU between Argentina and Australia, UK, New Zealand and Ukraine

The two western unions near my apartment (Montevideo y Alvear, Montevideo y Santa Fe) were both down yesterday and today. I'm not sure if it is a problem with their equipment/computer system or has to do with a government crackdown. All I know is that they said my friend couldn't get cash from Uruguay.

thanks for the replies guys... the guy at WU (1300 block of Guemes) said that the law only restricted money sent to US and Italy... very strange...

elclandestino- I'm interested in how you send money to Australia.. that is my other... actually morepreferable option...but when I asked about it here they said that they don't sendcash to Australia from Argentina...?

Thanks for the ideas guys!

How about money transferred via Western Union coming in from the US? In my business that's how a lot of freelance Argentine web developers / designers get paid and I could see that becoming a major issue...

As for your cash, you will be just fine. Money belt and not to worry. My partner and I flew to Europe last year with quite a bit more than that tucked to our bellies. Was very nice to finally unload it when we arrived, but it wasn't too stressful. Slept well on the plane :) You won't have any problems and it's perfectly legal when its under 10k. Only people who may discover it could be security if they pat you down. And it's not at all likely they'd be able to steal from you when you're in that part of the airport.

Good luck!

Yea I second the question about transferring dollars from the US to Argentina. That may be our only option now for getting US dollars aside from the black market.

Stafford said:
How about money transferred via Western Union coming in from the US? In my business that's how a lot of freelance Argentine web developers / designers get paid and I could see that becoming a major issue...

As for your cash, you will be just fine. Money belt and not to worry. My partner and I flew to Europe last year with quite a bit more than that tucked to our bellies. Was very nice to finally unload it when we arrived, but it wasn't too stressful. Slept well on the plane :) You won't have any problems and it's perfectly legal when its under 10k. Only people who may discover it could be security if they pat you down. And it's not at all likely they'd be able to steal from you when you're in that part of the airport.

Good luck!

Western Union doesn't pay out USD as of more than a year. You get paid in pesos and the rate is a bit lower than regular

Back