Stupid question :)

Johnno

Registered
Greetings all,

Here I am with yet another stupid question :)

I spent 2 weeks in Recoleta earlier in the year and now I can't for the life of me REMEMBER if I used an AC adaptor convertor for my Australian laptop/mobile phone/etc or not - I took a powerboard down with me (with Australian plugs) but I can't remember if it plugged in directly or if I needed to use an adaptor...

HELP! :)

I will be down at the beginning of February and I will be bringing all my electronics and stuff with me - and I don't want to get there and find I can't plug anything in...

This question is especially for the Aussies on this list I guess...

Thanks in advance,

John :)

Am no aussie but I know -in case you need one- you can get plugs in any ferreteria.

Hi John,

Electric system over here uses same plugs and has same voltage in NZ and I seem to recall that you guys across the ditch use the same as NZ? I.e. plugs are two or three pin, with one vertical pin (in case of 3 pin plugs) and two angled pins.

Cheers
Ian

Hiya Johnno. I'm an Aussie living here. The plugs are identical to Australia - you won't need anything :)

...and this is nothing to do with the type of plug .....always read what is written on your power adapters to see the voltage & frequency ranges they can be plugged into....for example %99.9 of all laptop power adapters will say 110V to 230V AC~ 50 - 60 Hz = meaning you don't need a voltage transformer <- Sorry to state the obvious but most people don't realize that portable technology is designed to be transported across borders & used under different voltages.... it is wise to err on the side of caution but why not read the small writing too.

And obviously so called 'white goods' are not meant to be portable so yes they will most probably need to be plugged into voltage transformers.

Welcome to all the Aussies! Santa wears shorts & thongs here too!

EDIT: One more tip... Use SURGE PROTECTORS at all times in this country! The simplest thing to do is to buy a multi plug power board (4x or 8x way) & then plug that into a surge protector... or simply buy one with an inbuilt surge protector like the following:
http://georgehenry.co.nz/product_pcid_597.html

Also Multi plug power boards save you from having to buy separate plug adapters for each individual electronic device...you just need one plug adapter (if your not from Oz).

As always - you guys come through with the answers and info I need :) Thanks so much to everyone :) One less problem for me to worry about :)

PS I should have remembered - I was there for nearly 3 weeks in July - just one of those things I guess - I was rather preoccupied - my first 3 weeks with my future wife and my first 3 weeks in Argentina :) Oh well - I'll be back soon - can't wait... :)

Back