Sube Card - How To Get Cheaper Fares?

Emmatt

Registered
Hi all

I have purchased a Sube card to take advantage of discounted fares, instead of 3.50 per journey.
However, upon checking my balance (after 4 journeys), I see that 14 pesos have been deducted. Which is still 3.50 per journey!

Is there something I need to do in order to validate the card for cheaper travel? I didnt get much help from the man behind the counter at the Subte station.

Thanks in advance

Sube card is not to get cheaper fares. It's to make it convenient for you to pay for your fares without carrying change. The cheaper subte fares are meant for really needy people, seniors who really need it, and handicapped people. Unless you're in one of those groups just stop complaining, public transportation here is dirt cheap compared to mostly everywhere else.

@internationalguy, I assume it's all that internationalling that has created a bitterness in tone.
@thomsono thanks a lot, that explains it. I was informed of this half price deal by a local, hence my original post.

Yes, it was last year (I think?) when they started the price difference. I was going to Recoleta daily...with my Sube card the price was $2.35 and with coins it was over 4 pesos, if I remember correctly.

If you are a beneficiary of the government subsidy plans you are also eligible for the lesser fare.

Hi all

I have purchased a Sube card to take advantage of discounted fares, instead of 3.50 per journey.
However, upon checking my balance (after 4 journeys), I see that 14 pesos have been deducted. Which is still 3.50 per journey!

Is there something I need to do in order to validate the card for cheaper travel? I didnt get much help from the man behind the counter at the Subte station.

Thanks in advance

Hi Goblinfairy
Do you realize that 3.50 ARG pesos is about 35 cents US? .....! Are you really looking for something cheaper?! Personally I would imagine there are few places in the world that offers such cheap public transport...
Some people believe the cheap fares are a reason why the Subte has so many accidents--you can't maintain the system with such low tariffs that clearly don't cover the expenses of running it....
If you're over 65 and go through some bureaucratic hoop jumping you can also ride the buses for free,I think after certain hours, if you've gotten an official certificate stating you're retired.
Also blind people and people in wheel chairs can ride for free, in case one of those categories applies to you.
Some people also jump turnstiles, which works ok if you're not blind or in a wheelchair or elderly........
By the way, with inflation here that 35 cent bus ride is apt to be 45-50 cents by the end of 2014, so be prepared!

If you have a disability you can ride free

Edit: whoops hadn't seen that post above

I agree with lacoqueta, it's ridiculously cheap.
$4.70 Olivos/Retiro return is a price worth paying, the trouble is that most people don't.

Back