Subte strike

NoseyParker

Registered
Does anyone know if the subte is working today... I think they may be in strike??

What's new? I'm getting to the point where I don't even bother with the Subte. It's unreliable even when they're not on strike.

It's a pipe dream, I know, but I really wish the city would invest in making the streets more bike-friendly. I'd happily zip everywhere on bike, and never use another subte again, if I weren't terrified of being aplastada.

I wish the city would invest in some "intelligent" 12 year olds they could hire to put in charge of making the subways run on time. I mean if Germany could make trains run on time during a war, (without the help of computers, cell phones, GPS, etc...) why on earth cant argentina run a subway from downtown to belgrano on time?

Except for the strikes I think the subte is not bad in BA. I lived in NYC and the subway was always breaking down, police action, sick passenger or some other excuse, not many strikes in NYC though, but cost 2.50 dollars as well.

garygrunson said:
Except for the strikes I think the subte is not bad in BA. I lived in NYC and the subway was always breaking down, police action, sick passenger or some other excuse, not many strikes in NYC though, but cost 2.50 dollars as well.

Heh, I remember the big subway strike, and hoofing it 5 miles home that night. Compared to the comfort and efficiency of the London tube, Madrid metro, or Berlin U-bahn, the MTA does indeed suck... BUT. It runs 24 hours a day, includes free bus transfers, and will take you to the farthest end of 4 boroughs, back again, and to any point in between on that one ticket. That's one thing I have to applaud the NY subway for, is its comprehensiveness (10 years in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and I needed to take a city bus a total of twice - to cross Central Park.) In BA I find that the opposite is true (subway coverage is fairly limited, whereas the bus system will practically drop you at your front door, no matter where you live.)

jjsto said:
I wish the city would invest in some "intelligent" 12 year olds they could hire to put in charge of making the subways run on time. I mean if Germany could make trains run on time during a war, (without the help of computers, cell phones, GPS, etc...) why on earth cant argentina run a subway from downtown to belgrano on time?

Quick Answer: Money.

Long Answer: Unions, corruption, Peronism, no investment, the Argentine culture, etc etc. Way to long to explain.

Back