Suggestions on mailing letters to Argentina

Zias

Registered
I need to send around 30 to 40 wedding invitations from Europe to Argentina (mostly BA) but have heard horror stories about the Argentine post. Does anyone have any suggestions that will increase the chances that they will actually get delivered?

I was originally thinking of sending them as a package to a relative and then they could hand them out personally, but I don't want them to have to go to the customs office ( spend hours there and then have to open every single invitation separately only to then have to pay extra tax). If I send it through a company like DHL will they still need to go to the customs office?

I could send them all individually as standard letters but because they are quite thick I'm a little bit afraid they might get stolen.

If anyone has any suggestions or experience with this, I would love to hear it.

I think your invitations would be considered documents and DHL gets them quickly through customs, but you will pay a premium price.

We had to let Delta know a few days in advance. Make sure you don't reserve bulk head or emergency row. I know that sounds obvious but we witnessed a young woman having to give up the bulk head seat she had paid extra for because she had a dog with her and no place to put it.

Sorry wrong place for this post.

Last edited:
Send them all pre-addressed, together via DHL or UPS to someone here you trust. Then have that person send them out via Correo.

Or, email?

Send them all pre-addressed, together via DHL or UPS to someone here you trust. Then have that person send them out via Correo.

Or, email?

What's the sense of that? They wind up in the hands of inept Correo Argentino. Remember, not only is the post office incompetent in Argentina but when the letters finally get delivered to buildings they are left in the hands of porters who may or may not deliver them to there correct flat properly. I suggest you sent the invitations via EMAIL. I know this is less charming but you can get someone to make a very attractive design. Much more sensible.

Nowadays I would try my best to do that via e-mail as much as possible. For the people who don't have e-mail, get one focal point in Buenos Aires and send them to that person, certified or registered through the postal service.

Thanks everyone for your advise, its all very helpful. I think an nice email is probable the best idea to make sure everyone gets the information. I know someone who is going to BA in not too long, I might ask them to take the invites and hand them to a relative. The Argentines might get the paper invites later then everyone else but at least they will have all the important dates and travel info through the email.

Back