Summary: Getting An Arg Drivers License (In Gba Zona Norte)

wongjoh

Registered
Here's a report on my experience today in getting an ARG driver's license in Provincia (GBA Zona Norte, Olivos). Note this is not the same process for Capital, which is more restrictive

As background, I have been in BA for 1.5 yrs now with a temporary DNI (they don't give you a permanent DNI at first, not for work) and I have a drivers license from California (unexpired). In Olivos (Roque Saenz Pena 1765), they will issue Argie licenses right away if you already have a valid international drivers license.

Requirements: (1) DNI with address in GBA Zona Norte in their jurisdiction; DNI must be 60 days or older, or you need to bring proof of address (such as utility bill or bank statement) with your name on it; (2) a copy of DNI and drivers license; (3) be willing to take a psychological test and a visual test (in Spanish)

If you have the above, the process is as follows:
1) Make an appointment at www.mvl.gov.ar > Tramites > Licencias de Conducir > Gestion de Turno > Renovacion Otros Municipios (Renewal for other municipalities) ==> note that this is for when you have a foreign drivers license

2) Show up on appointment day and go to the front-desk people, who will take your info and give you a number of forms to fill out. First is a medical form (to check for medical issues with your driving). After that, you take a psychological test, which amounts to following directions, drawing a house, tree, and person, and memorizing and recognizing patterns. Then, you do a visual test, which is about seeing and telling numbers of various sizes. Then they ask you to pay "sellados" (no idea what this is, but it was $188 pesos, cash only). Then they take your photo, left/right index fingerprints and signature. After that, you pay for the drivers license ($250 pesos, can be paid with credit card).

If they are not careful, they will also direct you to take the written exam and a driving test. I was sent over to do the written test (which I took anyways), but then when they also asked me to do a driving test, I pointed out to them that I didn't need to do either. They agreed, saying it had been a mistake from an earlier person. Then they just threw away the written/driving test paperwork, and gave me instructions to pick up the new drivers license

3) Pick up info says that I should be getting an email in 3-5 days, telling me when I can pick up my actual drivers license at the same office

==
Pretty smooth if you ask me. Except for the written test snafu, it was almost painless. Mind you, however, that I speak good spanish so could go through the hoops rather easily

Will report when I finally do get the actual license.

Wow! I so wish I lived in Vicente Lopez right now!
So there is no real physician giving you a physical? Oh Argentina!

I still haven't tried again in San Isidro, I will report once I played it again. :)

Happy to report I picked up my new ARG license this morning. Got an email over the weekend telling me it was ready for pick-up.

LOL, I did this about 4 years ago in the same office and the process was the same.

I was also surprised that it was unusually fast and easy

Back