Summer And Power Outages,how Well Prepared Are We?

mc kenna

Registered
I wanted to see how well prepared the expats community is in the even of a prolonged power outage,
Do we have enough diapers for the babies,formula,water,food, cash?
Could we hunker down for a week if there was a big storm?
I'd love to hear what we have to say about it

A week? Are you for real? Storm? It's not the gulf coast. I can see power outages but can stores run out of supplies? How?

I've been told of horror stories of no leccy/gas/water for a week etc. These are usually for works rather than storms.

Food missing in stores is more likely to be due to price controls and limited to individual products. See mate, flour etc in recent months.

I think we have about 2-3 weeks worth of food but we would get bored of eating lentis and things pretty quickly if there was a big disaster!

All it takes is a protest on some highway and the city runs out of food in 3 days,(if you were here in 08)they didn't send cattle to the central market for a couple of days and it became a problem, luckily ended there and no other goods ran out.
Not to mention2001 when people overran all the supermarkets.
i think last year there was a big storm the the greater Buenos aires area had no power for over 10 days,the list goes on and on,that's why i asked

If I have gas and water, I could survive for a month. No gas or water, I'm going back where I came from on the first flight out.

Google food storage, lots of mormons are into this. Eat what you store, store what you eat.
May be a good way to beat inflation.
But I would recommend keeping cash on hand to get a hotel room if you power cuts out for more than two days.

All it takes is a protest on some highway and the city runs out of food in 3 days,(if you were here in 08)they didn't send cattle to the central market for a couple of days and it became a problem, luckily ended there and no other goods ran out.
Not to mention2001 when people overran all the supermarkets.
i think last year there was a big storm the the greater Buenos aires area had no power for over 10 days,the list goes on and on,that's why i asked

Yeah, in 2008 I ran out of food and had to eat three pairs of shoes and one of my cats.

Things are so much better now.

this thread seems a little extreme. a power outage isnt a zombie apocalypse. the most ive had to deal with is 4-5 hours. i either go out for a walk or take a nap.

While it can be annoying I don't think you need to worry about it lasting too long in general maybe a day or two at most and I've never heard of stores running out of food in the entire city due to a power outrage because it just usually doesn't affect the whole city. Sure it's super annoying last Xmas eve for example my power went out for a bit and our street ran out of water so I had to leave a ton of dirty dishes in the sink and couldn't shower till last minute and had to hope the food for dinner wouldn't spoil. Longest ive been without power is maybe a little over 24 hours

Back