Sunburn Hell's Itch Peppermint Oil

headclick

Registered
Yes i'm an idiot, and i got quite badly sunburned on sunday.
the pain was pretty bad for two days, but is nothing compared to the Hell's itch, fire ants or whatever name you call it, that i'm currently going through....

it'unbearable.

calamine, aloe vera, antihistamines, tomatoes, cider vinegar. I've tried them all.

From what i've read Peppermint oil along with (counterintuitively) really hot showers is apparently the best solution

The showers are working. But I can't find peppermint oil.

Is the spanish word for this, aceite de menta or aceite de yerbabuena???

Can't find it in any chemist or a few dieteticas in Palermo Hollywood. Anyone know a brilliant dietetica in the Palermo area that could have it? or have you found it in any other type of health shop or pharmacy??

Thanks.

Here are some quotes about what i'm going through that i found on the net.

"... someone kill me please..."
" The itching was so bad that I almost snapped. I tried to have my wife knock me out with a 2 x 4"
"At its onset i was shaking uncontrollably, i was actually brought to my knees...i was screaming... i turned to pacing up and down my room, i lost count how many times, it was the only thing that gave me even a slight relief...its somewhere between an itch and thousands of constant insect bites that never end...
“at certain points i just wanted to knock myself out because i couldn't bare the agony any longer, i'm not ashamed to say that, i was almost reduced to tears."
"...this is the worst pain I have ever went through. I now know what it would be like to be buried in an ant hill."
"this should be used as a form of torture for those who commit heinious crimes"
"All I could do is pace back and forth and ramble on about how I just wanted to die!"
"At one point, it was so bad that I started punching myself in the face to get my mind off of it."
"the itch is intolerable and evil. It's the only thing that will bring me to considering jumping out of my 2nd story window, but then I worry that I'll have two broken legs and the itch will remain!"
"It brought me to my knees. I was itching uncontrollably all over my back, screaming and crying hysterically. "
"I want my mom...tequilla..and Codeine."
"it felt like a brush fire spreading across my back and I began to go mental... as if I was possessed by a demon (an itchy demon). “
“This itch is unlike ANYTHING ELSE. It makes me want to rip my skin off using rusty razors, to put it lightly…It sends the sufferer into a demonic state of helplessness as they struggle to cope with the itch which prevails through all numbing, cooling and moisturizing remedies.”

If its really bad, you might consider using antihistamine (check with a doc first).

oops, sorry, overread it. don't want to imagine how it feels then :/ get well soon

I don't know if this will work on ant bites, but it has worked on other bad bites for me. Rub stick deodorant on all the bites.
Nancy

I don't know if this will work on ant bites, but it has worked on other bad bites for me. Rub stick deodorant on all the bites.
Nancy
it's not an ant bite.... it's reffered to as fire ants, or hell's itch as it feels like your skin is being torn apart by ants.
it's a crazy painful itchy sensation as a result of sunburn..

Actually sounds like you need more than anti histamine, maybe a type of corticoids There are steroid creams that I used when I had a bad allergic reaction, but you might need a systemic steroid like prednisone. Strongly advise going to an emergency room and get some relief. I had a severe allergic reaction with whole body blistering rash. Only fix was prednisone.wanted to put myself in a freezer!

well unfortunately for me i have to work tonight. but i'll drop by the pharmacy on the way and ask about those creams.
like my sunburn was pretty bad, but not the worst, no blistering, but very stupid looking at least which i guess is fun for everyone else.
but this is just very hard to deal with. And from everything i've read hot showers peppermint oil and antihistamines are what sorted out everyones case.
Thanks for the info. I'll see how i get on this evening, and if needed i'll go to the emergency room in the morning.

as far as general allergic reactions, I don't have food allergies, but i react badly to mosquito bites quite often.

most recent shower and coconut oil have provided a little bit of sanity for the time being. hopefully the distraction of work helps.

Pepermint is called "Peperina" and you would have to ask for "Aceite esencial de Peperina". I used to know a great store in Villa Urquiza that sold small bottles of essential oils but it closed. Certainly around Palermo there must be one of those stores around Gurruchaga that sells fancy soaps or a good dietetica maybe. For burned skin, (a sunburn is a burn, no different than if you got burned with fire or an iron) and you are feeling that severe pain you should really be going to the doctor immediately. You can end up with a very serious infection. They would give you steroids and antibiotics no doubt. Hope you feel better soon and stay out of the sun!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Girino Expat Life 14
TomAtAlki Expat Life 17
camberiu Articles 11
Back