Surgery And Health Care In Buenos Aires?

Bota

Registered
Hi there,

great to find this forum, and hope to get some advice from seasoned expats!

I am planning to undergo cosmetic and functional surgery on my nose (rhinoseptoplasty) and after much research have been strongly leaning towards traveling to Buenos Aires to have the work done my Drs Luis and Hernan Chinski.

Their credentials and experience seem superb and from all I read, the quality of surgery in general is first rate in BA.

So I guess my question is:

does anybody have experience with these particular doctors, and more generally, any feedback that might make me more confident about having surgery in Buenos Aires vs the US?

Thanks so much in advance!

I have no knowledge of these doctors but I would use great caution in choosing surgeons. Also consider carefully who the anesthesiologist is. This is just as important as the surgeon. There was a case here over a decade ago of cosmetic surgery that went seriously wrong because of inept anesthesiology.
Is the clinic well known? Are the doctors accepted by some of the major health insurers?

Thanks for the advice,

I think they are a very well respected clinic and the anesthesiologists all properly certified. They don't just do cosmetic work, in fact the surgeon is Chief Resident at Hospital de Clinicas in Otorhinolaryngology, and I gather this is one of the main public hospitals in BA?

you could always contact or work with a medical tourism company to be safe..
http://refresh-med.com/

The issue is not that the doctors are certified. They can be certified and competent or incompetent.

I have been to Doctores Chinsky (regular ENT appointment with someone from their team) and as far as I know, they are good (not just interested in making dollars). They have a good reputation locally and they work with my private health insurance. I would trust them.

Good luck!

Thanks so much nativexpat !
Their work and experience seems to be stellar , but it is really nice to hear feedback from someone actually in the City

Whaaat, I didn't invent the industry nor do I use it. Ha but it exists and it exists because it's apparently useful for a lot of people

It exists for people who can't or don't do their homework and find a reputable surgeon who operates in a good hospital with a full team and all the necessary medical equipment for any kind of emergency, while finding a place to stay during recovery. I'm sure that many medical tourism companies will also throw in a city tour and a free tango show too.

An Argentine friend of mine was operated on at a well-known medical tourist clinic in Buenos Aires. The doctor didn't order an EKG before the surgery, and he didn't even actually operate on her but let his assistant do it. The anesthesiologost allowed her to scream in pain so much that they stopped the operation half way through. The doctor in question told her he most certainly was in the OR with her and she said he wasn't. She was wide awake enough to get off the operating table and walk home. There are other similar cases including fatal ones involved with surgery tourism. A good doctor doesn't have to associate himself or herself with a medical tourist website in order to get patients.

Back