Swiss Medical

Borntarun

Registered
Hi all -

Just moved here and wanted to get Swiss Medical Insurance, but I'm not sure where to apply for it. Does anyone know? Or have any other thoughts of health insurance down here? I've heard it's around $120/month for everything you could ever want, and the quality/speed/care is great.

Thanks in advance.

Borntarun said:
Hi all -

Just moved here and wanted to get Swiss Medical Insurance, but I'm not sure where to apply for it. Does anyone know? Or have any other thoughts of health insurance down here? I've heard it's around $120/month for everything you could ever want, and the quality/speed/care is great.

Thanks in advance.
I would go to the office on Arenales, just at the corner of Callao. I'm sure there are other locations as well. The cost depends on age. I'm 58 and pay a little over $200US a month.

Reactions: DJP
I went to a broker's office to sign up when I had Swiss Medical but I don't remember her contact info unfortunately. You can call them at 0810-333-2244 and I'm sure they will give you info.

Re price - it depends how old you are and what plan you are under. I currently pay about 400 USD a month for my OSDE 310 insurance (which is the 2nd lowest level)

As usual, thanks to all.

Def a bit more expensive than I thought. I heard from a 29 year old that it was $120/month...

I'm 26 and I pay about 100usd a month.

They will come to you wherever your are and get you set up. So just call the main number (i don't have any of their info with me...) They came to my office and got me all set up! It was very easy

They say they only have 1 cheaper plan at $1129/mo. Do these costs seem reasonable?

LostinBA said:
They say they only have 1 cheaper plan at $1129/mo. Do these costs seem reasonable?

It depends on your age.
I signed up for Swiss Medical when I was 26 and paid about 280 pesos per month (this was 5 years ago) for the cheapest plan. The plan was pretty thorough but because it was the cheaper option, I had to pay a 25-40 peso premium every time I saw a dr. I believe that the same plan now for someone of a similar age is 400-and-something pesos upwards.
I believe that my MIL was paying nearly 2,000 pesos for her OSDE insurance a couple of years ago (she's in her 50s) so I wouldn't be suprised if Swiss/Osde etc were now charging upwards of 1,000 for people over 35/40.

Borntorun, if you mean 120 pesos per month...that hasn't been the case for years. In 2004/2005, you could get the young people's plan with OSDE or Swiss for around 120 but health insurance has been going up by 30% or so every few months since then...

Medicus used to offer a plan for expats...don't know if that's still going.

Ashley said:
It depends on your age.
I signed up for Swiss Medical when I was 26 and paid about 280 pesos per month (this was 5 years ago) for the cheapest plan. The plan was pretty thorough but because it was the cheaper option, I had to pay a 25-40 peso premium every time I saw a dr. I believe that the same plan now for someone of a similar age is 400-and-something pesos upwards.
I believe that my MIL was paying nearly 2,000 pesos for her OSDE insurance a couple of years ago (she's in her 50s) so I wouldn't be suprised if Swiss/Osde etc were now charging upwards of 1,000 for people over 35/40.

Borntorun, if you mean 120 pesos per month...that hasn't been the case for years. In 2004/2005, you could get the young people's plan with OSDE or Swiss for around 120 but health insurance has been going up by 30% or so every few months since then...

Medicus used to offer a plan for expats...don't know if that's still going.

Thanks. I also called Medicus to inquire about that expat plan and they assured me repeatedly that there is no longer such a plan nor any sort of expat group discount off regular plans.

I am 32 and pay $152USD a month (official not blue rate, goes straight to my Amex card from the USA). My boyfriend is 37 and pays $195USD.

vanessa said:
I am 32 and pay $152USD a month (official not blue rate, goes straight to my Amex card from the USA). My boyfriend is 37 and pays $195USD.

which company, Vanesa? OSDE or Hospital ALeman or ....?

Back