Taking Bicycle On The Airplane.

nlaruccia

Registered
Does anyone have experience with taking a bicycle on an airplane. I'm going to be traveling with two huge suitcases and a cat as well. The shipping company said it's not worth it to ship and take it on the airplane with me. I have no idea how to wrap, where you find the wrap and if it requires a box.

I'd check with your airline - for sports equipment, there are often special conditions on the packaging, but cheaper fees compared to other special luggage. You also might have to make a reservation for it in advance.

I've flown with a bicycle. You can get a box at a bicycle shop and pack it yourself. Check videos on Youtube for ideas on packing a bike. Some airlines have boxes too but will charge you for them. I wouldn't trust just putting it in a bag since it will get thrown around and have luggage thrown on top of it.

Just make sure you make it as small as possible, ie take front wheel off and tie it to the rear wheel. Lower handle bars/seat. Remove anything that can be broken off easily ie lights,etc.

Or you go by plane and get the cat to peddle it home for you :D

I've flown with a bicycle. You can get a box at a bicycle shop and pack it yourself. Check videos on Youtube for ideas on packing a bike. Some airlines have boxes too but will charge you for them. I wouldn't trust just putting it in a bag since it will get thrown around and have luggage thrown on top of it.

Thank you for the tip!

I've flown my bike many times to triathlons. I wouldn't fly a bike unless it was packed in a specific hard-sided bike shipping box. I also worked as a baggage handler for an airline trying to make money in college. This is why I know. My bike cost more than some cars I've owned. A bike box will run you U$200 - U$300. Worth it if you have an expensive bike. If you have a cheap bike it might be worth it to sell the bike you have here and buy/rent one where you are going.

BTW - different airlines charge different fees for shipping.

my experience with flying with a bike is somewhat old. I agree with gs Richard and john. I owned my hard case box and packed accordingly. I see that cardboard boxes are available thru bike shops but would question there usefulness if you bike is expensive and finely tuned. I recommend if you don't own a shipping box using the cardboard box thru ups or fedx only. if your not racing and and its not an expensive bike, beware the airlines charge a lot because of size, like gs said, sell it

I've been watching videos on how to dismantle a bicycle and put it in a box from a bike store. You mean a hard box in Argentina costs $300 US? That's more than I expected. I could sell my bicycle, but if I wanted to buy a road bicycle in the States they run around $1,000 US and up. And that's a cheap one. Below is my bike. Tough call to make.

IMG00224_20110503_1200.jpg

I've been watching videos on how to dismantle a bicycle and put it in a box from a bike store. You mean a hard box in Argentina costs $300 US? That's more than I expected. I could sell my bicycle, but if I wanted to buy a road bicycle in the States they run around $1,000 US and up. And that's a cheap one. Below is my bike. Tough call to make.

IMG00224_20110503_1200.jpg
Maybe a small container, you can put everything inside. I have helped friends to ship their furniture abroad, cost 30k-50k from US to Asia.

Maybe a small container, you can put everything inside. I have helped friends to ship their furniture abroad, cost 30k-50k from US to Asia.

Originally I wanted to ship it would it would cost over $3,0000 US to ship. I might as well buy a new bicycle for that amount of money.

Back