Taking Out Money With Foreign Card - Having Problems?

citygirl

Registered
I never use my US card in the ATMs here for cost/exchange rate reasons. But today I needed to get some money from that account and tried my Citibank ATM card in 3 different machines. Each time I got an error message that my card couldn't be used in that machine (They were Bancelo - 1 Banco Galicia, 1 Santanander and 1 Banco Nacion). Citibank in the US says its not an issue on their end. Are other people having issues?

Did you try in multiple machines within those banks? Because I know that a lot of the banks have put in machines that only accepts their clients' card and then there is often only one machine that will accept foreign cards. I know that HSBC has been like that for ages and the Banco Frances near me has only 1 machine of 3 that will accept my card, I can't remember if the same happens at Santander. I know that it can run a bit of panic down your spine when you haven't used the card for ages, but it's probably not an issue with your card at all, just the machines.

Let me give one piece of advice -- not that it will solve the problem per se but will save you time and money over the long haul -- Open up an account with Schwab bank.. need not be with a brokerage account too.. Schwab will give you a debit card .. you will no longer pay the ATM fees. Initially they deduct them but within 60 days they put them back into your account. They are the only institution to do so. Check them out. I use Schwab card all over the world with no difficulty even here in BA - I use it infrequently due to exchange dollar rates but I use it for say 100 pesos just to let them know I am still here in this country so they will not deny me later as their machines will wonder why is he there and not here in the states etc... hope that helps

Splaying, HSBC also refunds the ATM transactions fees when you withdraw money at any of their branches anywhere in the world. They have targeted frequent travelers and expats as a niche market and make their services very international and travel friendly. There are many branches in BsAs capital.

Hsbc is only good if you have premier which means 50k invested in their weak offerings. HSBC basic dosnt give you shit! And the opportunity cost for premier if you're on the low end is so high that Schwab or citi gold is much better f

Splaying - thanks. I don't bother with Schwab or any of those b/c it's not worth withdrawing money at the official exchange rate. The ATM fees are just icing on the ridiculous cake :) It's been months since I've used my US ATM card but I happened to need money while I was out and didn't have the other card.

Syn - yep, tried in a few different machines and at places where I have used my card in the past which is what I found so weird. Who knows, I will try it at a Citibank in town and see what happens then.

Re HSBC. PhilipDT you're right, you have to be an HSBC premiere customer. I had become one a long time ago by buying the only stock I hold! (Warren Buffet) tBut the HSBCPremier in Argentina have lower ceilings and are easier to buy into. Maybe with your CEDIN? (haha)

Fidelity Investments, like Schwab, issues (affinity) debit cards which refund ATM fees up to $225 in fees per year. This is academic in view of the blue markets. I assume Uruguay ATMs are still issuing USD.

Back