tango-lessons

mariano-BCN

Registered
I'm living in Caballito and looking for advice where to take good tango-lessons in BsArs. After visiting La Catedral three times I know now it's nothing more than a "touristic trap": expensive (within a week the price went up from 25 to 30), teachers non-interested and low quality of the service. Yesterdaynight was overcrowded: 70 (!) persons -nearly all tourists- for the 21 hrs lesson.
I visited another place in San Telmo but then again: an excellent tango dancer is not the same a good tango-teacher.
So, anybody a suggestion? And besides, I (M, 47 y) don't have a tango-partner.

Alberto Catala. He teaches privates and group classes. He is a good teacher and a nice guy. One class is at Salon Canning on Monday nights at 7 p.m. His phone #s are 4784-9517 and 15 4199-2219. Don't be put off if you see youtube videos where he and his partner Belen are dancing choreographed "show" tango. What they teach is stuff for the dancefloor.

La Esquela del Tango, San Jose 364, 4383 04656, with Claudia Bozzo. Been there for 20 years. Superb. Definitely NOT for "tourists." Tell her Roy sent you.

If you are interested in milonguero style salon tango, you might consider Ruben and myself. We've been teaching bilingual private lessons in Boedo since we were high-ranking finalists in the BsAs Tango Championships in 2006.

Ruben and I teach social tango as it is danced in the milongas of Buenos Aires. We don't teach patterns or steps, but tango based on the music, embrace, connection, improvisation, sensuality, and elegance.

I'm presently out of town and Ruben doesn't speak much English, but am returning on Thursday. Phone: 4932-5027; email: [email protected]

I have my tango teacher, he is a 23 yr old guy, amazing, super talented and an incredible teacher. PM and I will pass you his number. He is cheap, too.

I suggest you take clases at El Beso Mo-We-Fri and Sun at 8 PM. They teach you to dance on a crawded dance floor instead of choreography o steps.
Regards

rawlf said:
La Esquela del Tango, San Jose 364, 4383 04656, with Claudia Bozzo. Been there for 20 years. Superb. Definitely NOT for "tourists." Tell her Roy sent you.

This was not similar to my experience there.
Almost all Tango schools are set up for tourists as that is where the cash is, so who can blame them. If you want a not for tourist place, go where they only speak Spanish.

I found a place here in Caballito, all the teachers and "students" are locals, price is 15 for two hours, twice a week, great place, great people. I'm a starter so they've to be patient with me.
I tried the Catedral and other "touristic trap" and it was a waste of money and time.
Thanks all.

here are the details of the place I found: it's called 9 de Julio, Alberdi 568, Tuesday and Thursday 19-21 hrs, by the way: they can use some more females dancers. Yes, indeed, females, usually is the other way.

El Beso is the most traditional milonga with the best level of dancing.

http://www.laacademiatango.com/content/clases

I think that they are the best for beggining.

I am local and I have been dancing every night for some years.

I suggest you avoid la Viruta, Villa Malcolm, Confiteria la Ideal, among others.

Once you feel that you lernt all that a teacher can give you, look for another one.

Even la Catedral is not precisely a milonga, Pedro Bonavente "el indio" teachs there and he is a very good proffesor.

Marcelo Salas, the organizer of La glorieta, teachs on Saturday there.

I also suggest the clase of Carlitos and Rosita Perez at the Sunderland Club. They teach to walk. After the class there is a practica.

Viqueira is a recognized master. He teachs just in front of Parque Sarmiento on Thuesdays at Imagen Cafe.

Parejita is another old old old master who has a practica but i don t remember where. Just google him.

If your teacher teachs you only steps, find another one, he/she sucks.

Being in Buenos Aires, it makes no sense to learn with young people. The advantage here is to learn from masters for 25 pesos per class.

Regards

Back