Tango Shows

citygirl

Registered
We're bringing back some clients to Buenos Aires in a few weeks. One of the things they want to do is a tango show. I have zero experience with those - I went to one once a million years ago but can't remember anything about it other than it was pretty boring.

Is there any show halfway decent? These are not people who know tango so no worries if it's not "pure tango" - spectacle is okay. Also ideally one where they don't have to purchase an overpriced and mediocre at best dinner.

Thanks!

take em to CAFF. Its not a "show"- its a real place, where real people play music and dance. You can buy a drink, its cheap, there is no agenda.
Orquestra Tipico, the house band, is incredibly fun to watch, not old session musicians going thru the motions. You want to go on a night where they play, not some more adventurous guest band.
http://caff.com.ar/

take em to CAFF. Its not a "show"- its a real place, where real people play music and dance. You can buy a drink, its cheap, there is no agenda.
Orquestra Tipico, the house band, is incredibly fun to watch, not old session musicians going thru the motions. You want to go on a night where they play, not some more adventurous guest band.

This may be a stupid question (maybe not). Do you have to dance? I mean dance Tango? I like the look of this place and want the vibe, but have no interest in dancing Tango.

Sorry, Ries, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Real people dance tango in a milonga to recorded music from the Golden Age of tango. Orquesta de Fernandez Fierro are known for their violent sound which they call tango, but it's not traditional music for dancing. People may move around the floor to their music and other orquestas on the schedule, but it's not tango for dancing. The entrada to a milonga is 120 pesos for 6-8 hours of dancing. This place charges 180 for a show which may last 40 minutes. Orq. FF puts on a show, raising their bandoneons over their heads and slamming them on their knees. I saw them years ago during a tango festival. They carved out their niche to be different and founded El CAFF so they could perform regularly.

This may be a stupid question (maybe not). Do you have to dance? I mean dance Tango? I like the look of this place and want the vibe, but have no interest in dancing Tango.

No.

Will Athletic Club FF be the right place for some conservative Gringos to enjoy Tango B) on their first visit to Argentina... B) They can tell their neighbours back home they visited a converted Mechanic Shop where neighbourhood (declase) bands play Tango... :D

General Admission $ 150 / Advance $ 120 ★ Location is by order of arrival to cover the capacity of the Club ★★ Advance tickets do not guarantee a table reservation. Once the number of available chairs is covered, people may stay on foot.

If It wasn't for the price $$, they may enjoy more the Sr, Tango Vegas type glittery Shows or similar, to show the pics of sazy lady dancers to their grand children :rolleyes:

254.jpg

Carpe Diem

Back