Tattoos in BA

whammy

Registered
Hello, Im planning on moving to BA in the next couple of years and I was wondering how tattoos are view in BA. I am covered in tattoos. Pretty much my whole upper body...full sleeves, etc...
Just nothing on neck or hands. Now Im not a punk rocker or anything. Im not a rich ceo by any means but Im an educated professional planning on getting another masters degree while in BA.

now with that said, how will people (actually i just care about the women haha) in BA react to someone that is VERY heavily tattooed?

There aren't a ton of heavily tattooed people here, but tattoos are pretty commonplace and getting more common all the time. There are some heavy-mod subcultures here, but they still remain largely hidden. Anyway, I doubt that you'd catch any bad attitude from people, or even any attention in particular because of being tattooed--especially if all your tats are below the neck and above the wrist.

As far as the reaction of women goes, I guess that depends on the woman, now, doesn't it? Besides, if a woman is going to react poorly to your tattoos, why would you want to be around her anyway (aside from the obvious short term reason)?

Well summed-up by MizzMarr (I still owe you plants by the way! I still have the tomato ones but I have a bunch more to give you. I'll contact you this week to give them to you, sorry for the delay, working 7/7).

I've seen quite many girls here with tatoos in many parts of their bodies (sorry, I usually don't see male bodies, lol).
My guess is that it's quite well accepted. Obviously it will be more of an interest to "funky" people (I don't know how to express that).

French jurist said:
I still owe you plants by the way! I still have the tomato ones but I have a bunch more to give you. I'll contact you this week to give them to you, sorry for the delay, working 7/7.

Off topic, but that'd be great!! Thank you! I was starting to wonder if you were ok, as I hadn't seen any posts by you in awhile. Glad to know that it's just work, and hope that it's paying off well! I'll be out of town over the weekend, but back next week so look forward to hearing from you! :D

I think tattooed kids are all over the place down here, so you'll fit in fine. Hell, you can't walk down the street without seeing teens with all that shit in their faces. Seems as though it's a prerequisite if you're in your teens...

As for dating Argentine women, depends on what you're going for. Most women are extremely conservative down here, but you also have the wild ones as well. If you put on a little extranjero charm and a nice smile, then you're in...

If you're planning on entering the business world while you're down here studying, be prepared to cover yourself from head to toe (unless you want to work at a tattoo parlor). Despite the fact that Tattoos are more and more commonplace, they're still viewed as being lower class down here. Just cover yourself and you should be fine...that's what I think.

You'll love it down here, so have a safe trip and aprovechá la ciudad!

A lot of my heathen friends in BA are tattooed all over - but having said that most of them are into the heavy metal/etc. too - but yes, I don't think you'll have a problem - I'm going to be getting a few ''tats'' myself when I get down there - long overdue :)

You shouldn´t have any problems here.. of course that there might be some people who wouldn´t like your tattoos, but who cares?? I don´t think you are looking for meeting people who aren´t open minded enough to be put off by a tattoo, are you?

If you are getting a tattoo here, I recommend the Bond Street Gallery, I had my one and only tat at American Tattoo, excellent quality, a bit more expensive than other places but it is definitely worth it..

To tell you the truth I've never quite got the tattoo thing. Why do people do this? What's the point? It use to limited to sailors, why is it the in thing for so many people now?

Surveys have shown that 70-80% of people later regret getting them, removing them is painful and very expensive.

What am I missing?

gouchobob said:
To tell you the truth I've never quite got the tattoo thing. Why do people do this? What's the point? It use to limited to sailors, why is it the in thing for so many people now?

Surveys have shown that 70-80% of people later regret getting them, removing them is painful and very expensive.

What am I missing?

That's kind of a tough question to answer, Bob. 70-80% of people (always treat statistics with a grain of salt) regretting their tattoos could speak to people being too impetuous with choosing a design or an artist, getting a tattoo for a momento while on vacation, being simply too young to make a good and lasting choice, having not put enough thought into it, changing tastes, or a host of other reasons. Maybe it *used* to be strictly for sailors, but the world has changed a LOT since then, and I doubt that the majority of people who are getting them are just getting a tattoo because they're the "in" thing. Popularity of tattooing may wax and wane like a fad, but there will always be true devotees. It's certainly not for everybody, but fgood thing that we live in a world where nobody is forcing us to make those kinds of choices. Different strokes, ultimately, but choosing to get a tattoo is choosing a little bit more of an extreme way to express your personality. We all do it, from every external choice we make from washing your face to choosing your clothing to a haircut style, whether you're aware of that choice (or care about it) or not.

For me, personally, I love the look of a beautifully crafted, well placed, unique tattoo. I think choosing a tattoo is something not to be taken lightly I would hope that someone would take the time to find the right artist and participate in crafting a design that speaks to them so that, years down the road, they do not regret the tattoo. In such a case, even when tastes change, the meaning/significance/symbolism will hopefully still speak to them. If not, then it's an expensive lesson in what is temporary and what is not. I don't "get" someone picking a design off of a wall (having the same art that someone else might have doesn't say much about individual expression to me, but again--different strokes), but people have a lot of different reasons to get tattoos and a lot of different ideas that they want to express in them ranging from serious and spiritual to silly and fun. Ultimately it's a way to further claim and utilize the skin you're in. I love them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Expat Life 9
DJ_Rush Entertainment 2
I Culture 1
S Expat Life 7
Back