Tax-free Refunds at EZE - warning

LaurenW

Registered
If you are planning to get a tax refund at Ezeiza, you will only be offered the amount in pesos. I tried to put it on a credit card since I was leaving Argentina and they said it was not possible. Cash in pesos only. I asked them where I could change the pesos to another currency (even though I knew it wasn't possible) and they just smiled and said I could buy something to eat before my flight (250 peso medialuna anyone?)

Plan to buy something at duty free where they are still using the official rate.

What a way to treat tourists spending money in Argentina eh...giving them a useless currency that they have to spend between the tax-free refund booth and their flight's gate.

Lovely. I was wondering about this. Thanks for the update. I had a bunch of receipts too. I made a point to shop at those stores taking into account getting the refund back on my credit card. Ugh! Well, that will eliminate any further spending here. Is there a Havana at EZE?

I asked at a change counter at DFW Airport what the exchange rate was for Argentine pesos and I was told that no one takes Argentine pesos.

That's why I advise people to bring cash and show their disapproval of the government by keeping their dollars out of the system. Many people love Argentina, they just hate its dictator.

I'm surprised you were actually able to even get anything back. The last time I went through EZE, I went to the Aduanas Argentina dude who, although he wasn't doing anything, seems irate to have to lift a finger.

He insisted that he inspect all the clothing labels to make sure they corresponded to the receipts and to make sure none of the fibers making the clothes came from outside Argentina. I was pulling apart all my carefully packed suitcases on the floor while HE chose what warranted the refund.

I finally simply gave up in frustration but I think that was his point...

Back