Taxi Fares - Up 65% in the Past Year

withersdavis

Registered
My cab ride from Palermo Soho to Las Canitas yesterday cost me a whopping 16 pesos. 1 Year ago that same cab was like 6 pesos. So I did some research, and yep, 65% increase in the past year. The base price went from 3.80 to 4.60 to 5.80.

Thank god I take the busses.

Personally I think this is going to price the taxis out of jobs...

I can't believe that buses and subways are still the same price. Nearly free, compared to all the other soaring prices.

withersdavis said:
My cab ride from Palermo Soho to Las Canitas yesterday cost me a whopping 16 pesos. 1 Year ago that same cab was like 6 pesos. So I did some research, and yep, 65% increase in the past year. The base price went from 3.80 to 4.60 to 5.80.

Thank god I take the busses.

Personally I think this is going to price the taxis out of jobs...

I can duplicate the equation necessary to support your calculation that there was a 65% increase in the "base" taxi fare, but 16 pesos for the "same cab" that cost "like" 6 one year ago appears to be greater than a 65% increase.

Perhaps the drivers took different routes.:rolleyes:

For comparison, from libertador y maure to my friends store on El Salvador y Fitzroy (I do the trip weekly), it's gone from 9 pesos to 12 to 15 in the last year. So 65% increase sounds about right.

I no longer am taking cabs at all unless it's late at night. I just can't justify spending that kind of money when the buses and subways provide such an inexpensive alternative.

Steve - yep - that 6 should have been 9! Sorry for the typo.

The only reason now for me to take the cabs are if it is late at night and I don't feel like waiting 30 minutes for a bus.

taxi drivers are closest thing to a protected mafia in this city.

(I may have posted on this subject in the past...it gets me so angry!!)

On a fairly recent taxi ride home, the taxista was venting about how much he hated the gremios because of the unfair practices that they enforce. This wasn't about fares, but about meter rigging. He didn't think that it was fair and refused to do it (rig his own meter) but kept catching flack from the gremio. I thought that meter rigging was something done by rebel taxi drivers, but apparently such 'pirate' activities are sanctioned. :eek: Ojo!

I remember talking to a taxi driver about this a few months ago...Apparently, the increases in prices come from "above" (so yeah, I guess it is a mafia). He was really worried that he'd be priced out of work but said that it hadn't affected business in the slightest! (this was 5 or 6 months ago though)...

Might be a coincidence, but I've seen a lot more empty taxis lately...

Still think taxis are cheap, given how much cars cost to buy, run and maintain, and how little the drivers make.

exactly how little do they make. Most cabbies that I've talked to seem to intimate that they have a comfortable middle class life.

Back