Tea?

ben

Registered
Twinnings, Tazo, basic brands... any place that carries these brands at anything near decent prices?

(Starbucks had Tazo some time ago, but at craaazy prices... even by Argentine standards).

Thanks!

You can find Twinnings and Celestial Seasonsings teas at most Coto/Disco/Jumbo stores, but the prices are still high (1-2 pesos/bag). I have never seen Tazo here (though it doesn't surprise me that Starbucks was carrying it), but Barrio Chino (Casa China) tends to have some good tea selections. Be prepared to try some brands you've never tried before. In any "regular" grocery store I'd recommend to stay away from the national brands, especially La Virginia, that's the worst!

Reactions: ben
The only thing I'd seen in COTO was loose Twinnings, at 50 dollars(!!) for a box. That's over and above any (or at least my) definition of normal.

La Virginia... good grief. It took me two weeks here to understand that I hadn't started to hate tea, just that La Virginia was ****. Lipton is half decent, but I'm looking for better.

Any particular local brands worth trying?

Thanks!

Lee said:
China town is your best bet and the prices will be much lower than the regular stores such as Disco or Jumbo.

Sounds good! But barely ever been there. Any stores (or street) in particular?

The only tea place in Bsas for me is Chez pauline, Juncal 1965
Open Weekdays 9am-8pm; Sat 10am

They have blue, green and red teas from Europe, Asia and Argentina as well as rooibo from Africa. My favourites amongst many are
Deep Africa
En busqueda del tiempo perdido
Gheisa

I honestly cannot recall prices but is something like 45 pesos for a 250g bag. Well worth it..and as a French locale the food is also excellent with proper flaky and buttery French croissants..or as close as you can get in Bsas.

I would avoid the Twinings, it's lower quality than the usual one and the bags sometimes split when you add water. I stopped buying it when it was about $16 for 25 bags. Now it's $40 or more.
I like the La Virginia vanilla tea, although it's weak.

ben said:
Sounds good! But barely ever been there. Any stores (or street) in particular?

Go to Casa China in Barrio Chino. They have two stores. You'll likely enter at Juramento and Arribeños. The first Casa China is on your right at 2173 Arribeños and another block down is a second (MUCH larger store, which I prefer) at 2257. I can't remember any specific brands of tea that I've tried (I'm all out of stash right now) but they're not so expensive as to be cost prohibitive to try. One brand I liked had a tea medley (one included chocolate, vanilla and cinnamon) and had a pretty middle-eastern henna-type inspired logo on the front of the box.

There's another store called Asia Market about 1/2 block down from Arribeños on Mendoza (?-I think, it's one street parallel from Juramento) that may have some good stuff. Usually I can get anything I need between those three stores.

I'm pretty sure I'd have bailed from BA if not for Barrio Chino a looong time ago!
ETA: I also generally avoid the Twinnings after buying a couple of boxes, as I've been disappointed in the strength and flavor for the price (though $50 dollars?! that's amazing, and hard to believe but not totally shocking unfortunately, this place is crazy sometimes). The Celestial Seasonings is pretty good and not as expensive.

go to tealosophy. they have two stores, one in recoleta and one in palermo. best tea i had in my life. i can't drink twinings anymore.

Back