teaching english in argentina

holas1

Registered
Hi All,

I have just registered with this site so thanks for having me. Over the last few months, I've been researching the possibility of teaching English in Argentina which I understand would be an incredible experience. I do have a few queries though that I haven't been able to find answers for:

Firstly, I am university educated, so is it absolutely necessary to get a TESOL certificate to teach English in Argentina (South America in general)?

Secondly, as I've had no teaching experience, will a TESOL certificate be enough to get me work? Should I arrange work prior to my arrival or can I just turn up and expect to find work?

Finally, I have been told that I can expect to earn enough money to live on and do a bit of travelling. Is that right? From the info that I've gathered so far, I am only really expecting to earn enough to live on.

If anyone can help me out with these questions I would really appreciate it.

Cheers!

Firstly, I am university educated, so is it absolutely necessary to get a TESOL certificate to teach English in Argentina (South America in general)? It helps to have some qualifications, it is all relative. Some institutes insist on it, others do not.

Secondly, as I've had no teaching experience, will a TESOL certificate be enough to get me work? Should I arrange work prior to my arrival or can I just turn up and expect to find work? Especially in Latin America, you will find that they will not be interested until you are here and show that you will be staying and committed. And, do not expect an answer to emails, as email etiquette is nonexistent here.

Finally, I have been told that I can expect to earn enough money to live on and do a bit of travelling. Is that right? DOUBTFULFrom the info that I've gathered so far, I am only really expecting to earn enough to live on. EVEN THAT IS A CHALLENGE HERE. EXPECT NOTHING, ASSUME EVEN LESS. TRUST EVEN LESS. DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED NOT TO MAKE ANYTHING AND CHALK IT UP, AS IT IS OFTEN ALL DOWN TO LUCK. OTHERWISE, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED. I do not want to be negative, but I have run into a lot of frustrated people who show up here expecting to earn enough to live on.

As a trained teacher, I have some reservations about peolpe without training or experience showing up (as it makes it harder for us when the schools have a bad experience with foreigners), but I understand and am trying to be positive and truthful. This is a trust game thpoough, and you will find that even if you are trustworhty, most students and schools are not.

Excellent comments, "MendozaNow". To revive the slang of the '60s, "Right on, man!"

WELL NOW THAT i READ MY POST...it was a bit nasty. Sorry. I should say good luck, and whatever we say about Argentyina, it is an interesting experience, and in many ways, un pais generoso!

Suerte amigos.

Most of what Mendoza said is correct. However, it is very possible to make enough to live on teaching English. This does, of course, depend COMPLETELY on your standards of living. Standards of living here are nowhere near as high as in the US or Europe, and if you want to live here with the same standards of living as there, you will definitely need to put some of your own money from savings or whatnot...

That said, if you´re willing to either spend some savings or live somewhat more economically, Argentina has so much to offer, and for short-term you will definitely get something out of it. Don´t be discouraged at all - it is SUCH an experience! Now, I wouldn´t recommend you leave a good job or anything and expect to live a normal life here...oh cause you won´t. And travelling will be difficult if you don´t have any funds to finance it with.

Like the others said, you will find it near impossible to arrange a job beforehand. Así es Argentina. But if you come here and have University degree and TEFL certification, you will almost certainly find plenty of work. Without TEFL certification, I cannot tell you, it may be more difficult, as many institutes and individual students DO expect to see that qualification.

Suerte!!

"Like the others said..."

If you are going to teach English to Spanish speakers please do not make grammatical mistakes.....AS I SAID!

Hello,
Does it matter what qualificatin you have....ie: TEFL, TESOL, CELTA etc.....
Or do they just need to see something?
Thanks

Thanks for all the replies everyone...much food for thought.

I get the impression that even though it may not be easy, if I am prepared to put the work in, it will be a very rewarding experience.

What are the accommodation options? Are share houses a good option (economically) or are there opportunities for living in your own (little) place?

Also, can I expect to work in one job for a while or is there a bit of chopping and changing between jobs?

Thanks again guys, I'm really interested to hear what you have to say.

You can find a lot of information about house shares and rentals using the search engine of the forum. Just enter the key words and you will find many threads that cover these topics.

sergio said:
"Like the others said..."

If you are going to teach English to Spanish speakers please do not make grammatical mistakes.....AS I SAID!

Sergio, did you ever watch the film, "Born in East LA?" The Mexican-born US teacher of English is trying to teach some aspiring illegal immigrants how to speak street English. For example, "Waas sappening?"

Back