Temporary Health Insurance In The U.s.

stephensonle

Registered
Hi all,

I am traveling back to my homeland (the States) for one month. I'd like to have some kind of temporary traveler/medical insurance while I'm there in case something happens-- a medical emergency could set me back thousands of dollars.

I'm a U.S. resident living in Argentina on a tourist visa (you know the old story). I've looked at several companies' travel insurance policies, but I don't seem to qualify since I'll be traveling in my (technically) home country.

Any suggestions?

Take out a local insurance policy that has coverage abroad. MEDICUS is probably best for this. OMINT has some coverage in the US but they are more expensive.

Be aware that some travel insurance companies in Argentine doesn't cover you for your country of citizenship. I'm from the UK (permanent resident in Argentina) and with a couple of providers I asked they wouldn't cover me for a trip to the UK but they would cover my Argentine girlfriend.

Give these people a call http://www.squaremouth.com/
They should be able to help you. Be careful with local AR travel insurance. Many policies are written to "reimburse" you for medical expenses in the fatherland: USA. Unless you have a hundred grand to spare, they are worthless in my view.

What state are you from? I am a U.S. based health insurance agent living in Buenos Aires. I've sent you a private message with my email address. My website is www.amyhealth.com. Depending on where you are based at in the states, I may be able to help you out.

Thank you all so much! I will look into all these options (I already have a Medicus policy, so I'll have to examine it further).

Take care!

Thank you all so much! I will look into all these options (I already have a Medicus policy, so I'll have to examine it further).

Take care!

If you have Medicus you may already be covered. You are if you already have a separate card for international travel coverage.

(Whether or not you already have it may depend on you "level" of coverage/.plan.)

You can buy a temporary policy from "einsurance" or google temporary health insurance. The temporary policies are easier to get and cheaper than standard ones because they don't have to worry about you getting cancer and the like. But it's the US and it's still going to be the most expensive of just about any place in the world.

Back