text messaging problem

marcopolo

Registered
Hi

I need to receive a text message from my bank overseas, but despite several attempts I cannot receive their messages on my phone.

Anyone know the dialing code an overseas sender needs to use to send sms to Argentina?

cheers
mark

Try 0054 911 missing out the 1 from your cel ie 0054 911(1) 56 350 ****

thanks, will try that. I was under the impression that the city codes (11) werent used when calling cell phones from abroad, so one would dial 0054 15****, but I will give it a shot.

Some mobile operators charge for receiving text messages from abroad & if you don't preauthorize such, they might get blocked.

It's another -potential- explanation.

GringoBoy is right : if my cell number is 156-222-2222 then from abroad : 00-54911-6-222-2222

Taking the extra "1" off is correct.
I don't know where your bank is based but for some reason, I cannot receive text messages from several countries (including the UK). Perhaps its because I have a pay as you go plan...no idea! I've received them ok from the US.

I don't know which carrier you are with, but I've found that Claro, as unreliable as it can be, is the only one that will successfully send and receive messages from Australia and the UK for me. Apparently there is a charge when you receive txts from overseas.

You can pick up an active pre-paid sim in the street for about 10 pesos.

Sonia

I was successful in sending SMS messages to Argie cell phones from Europe by omitting the 9. Thus, if you want to text you send the message to this number +54 11 XXXX XXXX but if you want to talk you dial +54 911 XXXX XXXX.

Don't ask me why this is. I have stopped asking :)

Back