Thanksgiving dinner

IntlMama

Registered
Is anyone going to attempt an actual Thankgsiving dinner? I would love to do this for my kids but I am worried it will just be too heavy and hot!

I have purchased a turkey and some basics to make a veggie casserole. Anyone know where to get cranberries? Or marshmallows?

Any idea how the batata fares in relation to the yams I am used to?

I'm also planning a full Thanksgiving dinner, but to make my own life easier I decided to leave out the cranberries and marshmallows because they are very difficult to find here. I went to a few markets looking for sweet potatoes like the ones we're used to (oranger on the inside) and a man suggested that the "batatas" here are just a good, so I baked a few with some sugar and he was definitely right....they were delicious!! I'm going to make a sweet potato casserole with the ingredients I could find: batatas, brown sugar (azucar rubio), cinnamon (canela), nutmeg (nuez moscada), and candied pecans. Good luck!

I'd try giving these guys (http://www.gergalberries.com/productos.html) a call and trying to get some redcurrants, it looks traditonal but actually tastes better IMO, just don't add sugar, they're plenty sweet already.

As for marshmallows, not too hard to find, for the love of food I beg you, just don't do it.

I'd say batata is as close as you're going to get to yams but they're not the same.

PhilipDT said:
As for marshmallows, not too hard to find, for the love of food I beg you, just don't do it.

:p Despite your opposition to marshmallows, do you know where I can find them? I live by Barrio Chino and lately haven't seen any of the U.S.-style ones (non-strawberry-flavored) in a while. If I was only feeding foreigners I would probably skip them, but since it's a bunch of Argentine boys I know anything with sugar will be a hit!

I had no idea you could make your own marshmallows! I might have to give that a try

Back