That wicked Yanqui dollar

Redpossum

Registered
For the most part, I really like pagina12, but sometimes their rhetoric makes even me roll my eyes. Overnight, they have gone from talking about the Blue Dollar to the "illegal dollar"-

"El valor del dólar ilegal alcanzó este viernes el mismo nivel, traído al presente, que tenía el dólar oficial en mayo de 1989, en medio del proceso de hiperinflación alfonsinista "

Quote above from this article, lead paragraph -

Yes, that's right, it's that wicked yanqui dollar. How dare it actually have a fair market value greater then what we have decreed it to be. It's as if your girlfriend's husband came home early, you jumped out the window of her 2nd floor bedroom, and then blamed the ground when you broke your leg. When you shouldn't have been shtupping somebody else's wife in the first place. The ground is where it's always been. The dollar is, if anything, weaker than it was a year ago, at least versus gold.

But, fine, yes, let's take a swipe at Alfonsin in passing. Any stick will do to beat an ugly dog.

(/me bangs head on desk)

This is why Argentina can’t have nice things. There are actually people and policy makers who think this way. Blame it on the other and avoid change at all costs. We are not the problem, it’s them.

This is why Argentina can’t have nice things. There are actually people and policy makers who think this way. Blame it on the other and avoid change at all costs. We are not the problem, it’s them.
None of them actually think this way - they use it as a political tool. They are all corrupt and keep their stolen savings in dollars at the same time they pretend that anyone who saves dollars is a traitor to Argentina.. You can't make this stuff up lol

The peso is brain dead, someone at some point will have to face the music and pull the plug. Replace it with the real or the dollar or the yuan

I'm glad someone else noticed "illegal dollar" references, C5N started to reference the "illegal dollar" as soon as they had to employ damage limitation to the central bank's decision to control access to the dollar.

The greenback is de facto the co-currency of Argentina. The peso is the "medium of exchange" and the USD is the currency of production (investments) and storage of value (savings). This has been the case for decades. The "real" price of the dollar is probably closer to the "free" values of the financial markets (MEP/Liqui), so somewhere around 145-150. The blue is HEAVILY speculative, very very thin volumes and a handful of market makers that can sling the price with a single duffel bag of 100s that came from god knows where. During CFK's years back in 2015-16, when the blue was going out of control, she would just dispatch (from the BCRA's back door) a few bags full of dollars to a few important cuevas in Microcentro (usually ran by people close to her criminal friends) and "calm" the blue for a few weeks. I am surprised they are not doing this now...

The greenback is de facto the co-currency of Argentina. The peso is the "medium of exchange" and the USD is the currency of production (investments) and storage of value (savings). This has been the case for decades. The "real" price of the dollar is probably closer to the "free" values of the financial markets (MEP/Liqui), so somewhere around 145-150. The blue is HEAVILY speculative, very very thin volumes and a handful of market makers that can sling the price with a single duffel bag of 100s that came from god knows where. During CFK's years back in 2015-16, when the blue was going out of control, she would just dispatch (from the BCRA's back door) a few bags full of dollars to a few important cuevas in Microcentro (usually ran by people close to her criminal friends) and "calm" the blue for a few weeks. I am surprised they are not doing this now...

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would politely suggest that the section above which I have bolded is unprovable/unknowable. There's no way we can actually know the size of the blue dollar market, and there's certainly no proof that Cristina did as you allege above. I think it likely that you are correct. It would certainly dovetail neatly with what we can know, but there's no proof.

Back