The Argentine Medicare System

jantango

Registered
This is for those who are retired and planning on staying in Argentina.

AFIP is the Argentine internal revenue service.
ANSES is the Argentine social security administration.
and
PAMI is the Argentine Medicare system -- Instituto Nacional de Servicios Sociales para Jubilados and Pensionados (national social services institute for retirees and pensioners).

Health care is free to anyone at the public hospitals, but you wait your turn.

I've been in Argentina almost 15 years and have a DNI for citizenship. I was browsing the PAMI site today looking for information to see if I am eligible for the national health care system for retirees. I found a question and answer page http://www.pami.org.ar/me_af_como_afiliarse.php that states:

1. Who can be an affiliate with this institution? People over the age of 70 who have no benefits or coverage with a health plan. It is renewed annually.

8. I'm over 70, don't collect benefits or have a health plan. What do I need to have benefits with this institution? What documentation do I need to present?

* your DNI with current address
* ten years minimum residency in the country
* proof from ANSES that you aren't receiving retirement benefits.
* proof of no affiliation to Obra Social de Buenos Aires
* your affiliation has to be renewed annually

This appears to be a option for foreigners with residency or citizenship if they need it.

This situation is in my thought for two reasons: I care for a man living in a geriatric home. He is affiliated with PAMI and has medical attention, food, and a place to sleep for a small deduction from his retirement. And secondly, I'm only five years from qualifying for affiliation with PAMI.

I wanted to pass this information along after the long discussion on Obamacare. I received my Medicare card when I turned 65, but it's of no use to me living in Argentina. I believe I am qualified for Argentina's "medicare" program.

I think Pami works for the retirees, aged 65 the men and 60 the women.

You also have monthly the option to get a basket totally free, full of products such as rice, coffe, fideos, and a lot of other stuff.

And subte 100% free.

There are lots of beneffits, I cant remember all of them.

A person can affiliate with PAMI when they receive retirement or pension benefits from ANSES.
There are 4.5 million affiliates with PAMI in Argentina.

And the latest from NPR on Medicare in the USA:
The premiums and deductibles will not be increased in 2014 for the 49 million Americans on MEDICARE. However, many people who buy their own insurance (14 million) are getting cancellation notices.

As a DNI legal resident and Argentine jubilado,I am entitled to use all PAMI services.I don't exactly get good reports from Argentines about PAMI.However,I do have experience with free city hospital out patient services which are more than acceptable when you consider that you're not being charged directly for treatment.
However,if I had to have rather serious or complicated surgery.I would be quite hesitant of having it done in state hospital due to frequent lack of medical supplies and sometimes questionable sanitation.In the latter instance a private health plan would definitely be the better choice.

Those affiliated with PAMI select their primary physician from a listing and also the public hospital. PAMI services are free to all affiliates, as are out-patient services at hospitals. The card that PAMI affiliates carry states the following: Todas las prestaciones son gratuitas. No abone bajo ningun concept y denuncie cualquier intent de corbro comunicandose gratuitamente al 158.

Those who can pay high premiums for private plans should get what they've already paid for in advance.

When I turn 70, I'm eligible for PAMI, but I'm satisfied with the city's free Coberatura Portena de Salud where I have an assigned head doctor, gynecologist and dentist and have an annual ear exam, eye exam and blood test at the local hospital. Once you learn how things are done, it's simple.

are you sure that expats, once they turn 70 , are eligible for PAMI? i am 69, have permanant residency, went to a PAMI office, and was told that only people who had worked in Argentina were eligable.....

This is stated on the PAMI site:

8. I'm over 70, don't collect benefits or have a health plan. What do I need to have benefits with this institution? What documentation do I need to present?

If you live in the city for at least three years, you're eligible for Coberatura Portena de Salud.

This is stated on the PAMI site:

If you live in the city for at least three years, you're eligible for Coberatura Portena de Salud.

Jantango... you always have the most accurate information. A major contributor to the Forum

Clarification:

The CoPS site states:

Cobertura Porteña de Salud está dirigido a todas aquellas personas que no posean cobertura médica (ni prepaga, ni obra social), y que acrediten residencia habitual y permanente en la ciudad de Buenos Aires.

As I read it, they require permanent residency in the city. That takes three years.

are you sure that expats, once they turn 70 , are eligible for PAMI? i am 69, have permanant residency, went to a PAMI office, and was told that only people who had worked in Argentina were eligable.....

Friends told me that ANSES offers retirement to people over 65 and found this information today on the site:

Universal Pension for the Elderly

It is a life and non-contributory benefit, for persons 65 years of age or older who are not beneficiaries of retirement, pension or retirement, and meet the requirements of the law. The amount thereof is equivalent to 80% of the minimum retirement and will be updated each time it increases by the Law of Mobility.

Holders will be entitled to PAMI services and will have access to the same family allowances have contributory pensioners: per child, per disabled child, spouse, etc.

select "mas informacion" that takes you to a question/answer page:

Who will be entitled to Pension Universal?

• People who are 65 years or older.
• The Argentines naturalized with 10 years of residence in the country prior to the application.
• For foreigners, it required 20 years of residence.

There will be additional benefits to get this Universal Pension?

• Entitled to PAMI services. (aka Argentine medicare system)
• You can access the same family allowances have contributory pensioners: per child, per disabled child, spouse, annual school aid.

at the bottom of the page is INTERACTIVE CONSULTATION (ENTER) and click COMENZAR
answer these FIVE questions:

Are you 65 years or older?
Do you live in Argentina?
What is your nationality? - Argentino - Naturalized Argentine - Foreigner
Do you have the legal minimum (permanent residency) of the last ten years in Argentina?
Do you receive a retirement, pension, unemployment benefit or non-contributory pension?

This appears if you qualify: Ud. puede acceder a la Pensión Universal para el Adulto Mayor.

Foreigners with permanent residency may qualify for retirement from ANSES and PAMI benefits after 20 years in Argentina.

Back