The best vineyards to visit in Argentina

Cavas Wine Lodge is an excellent place to stay in Mendoza and has a good restaurant.
El Enemigo and Lagarde both have excellent restaurants with multi course menus that are paired (of course) with wine.

We visited Vistandes, pre-pandemic, in Maipu. Very modern winery, no restaurant, just tours and tasting. Their Camenere (apparently it's one of the few Argentinian vineyards producing this grape) is excellent.

Diamandes
El Enemigo
El Enemigo is IMO delicious and of course they have a great back story! If you are willing to venture beyond Mendoza and its environs then Cafayate in the north west of the country has some great wines to try. The grape varieties may be familiar but they grow quite differently there.

Not my favorite wines, but I liked very much Bodega Trapiche. They re-purposed an older winery and rail-shipping warehouse as a visitor center. And to be fair, the wines you can taste there are harder to find (and better) than the Trapiches you get elsewhere.

In a very different vein, Domaine St Diego: excellent wines, small "garagiste" style winery. I visited a few years ago and I had the enourmous luck to meet Mr. Mendoza, the head enologist. I bought several of their bottled offerings, but I heard you can bring your own "damajuana" to be filled with their younger malbecs...tempting...

Salud!

My favourites (all in Mendoza as I haven't had the chance to go anywhere else)

Bodega Lagarde - great selection of food, either a full sit down experience or snacks. All paired with wine.
Tierras Altas - a much smaller Bodega that was less than a 10 min walk from our holiday place. Intimate tour, great food.
Baccus Wine Tours - not a vineyard but a great way of touring the area. They spoke very good English if you need that.
Casa Vigil (El Enemigo) - others have recommended it. Amazing blends and the food was simply stunning. I found the whole story around the wine bizarre - but maybe it was my poor Spanish holding me back.
Durigutti - amazing Malbecs, we had the benefit of some Argentine tik-tok star on the tour so they brought all the expensive vintages out. Organic maker. Interesting tour, the tour guide spoke excellent English to explain some of the bits that I couldn't get in Spanish.

We stayed just outside Lujan de Cuyo in Finca Terrada - would very much recommend it.

I would generally recommend Mendoza - they more readily understood my rubbish Spanish, customer service was better and people were generally friendly

Back