The City's Best Eggs

brixtongirl

Registered
Good morning!

So, collective brain- having been here two weeks, I have bought eggs from little grocers (in Recoleta), DISCO and Carrefour. They have all been cheap (although I bought the most expensive ones I could find) and pretty uninspiring when lovingly poached or soft boiled to accompany my avocado on toast!

Any thoughts on where I should be getting my eggs from? I'm thinking of the large, tasty dark yellow yolks of my former lands, and am sure there must be some happy Argentine chickens roaming the pampas somewhere.

Many thanks!

If you buy the brown kind instead of the white kind, the quality will be much better. Probably your best bet is a verduleria that is local and very good. Disco and Carrefour are probably not the best options. Local verduleria is your best bet.

I bought brown eggs once here because I was desperate, in a verduleria, instead of the white eggs I buy at my local carniceria for 30 pesos 30 eggs (or 19 pesos 12 eggs) and the brown eggs were expensive, I don't remember exactly but they cost about 40% more than white eggs (14 pesos 6 eggs, I believe).

The yolk is orange, whereas in white eggs it is pale yellow. The brown eggs were also bigger than my average white eggs.
The taste was better, the label said they were from "freely roaming" chickens.

However the color of the yolk is solely due to the kind feeding, and it is not an indicator of the nutritional attributes of the egg. Indeed, chickens are fed with modified grains to make bright orange yolks for commercial purpose, since we are under the false notion/impression that the brighter the yolk, the healthier the chicken and its eggs.

Also, if you notice the label on fresh pasta at supermarkets, you will notice that some have color ants added so that they can use the cheap white eggs to make it, but have a "healthier" bright yellow look on their pasta.

In Italy we have mostly brown eggs, and their quality varies. In my experience here brown eggs taste better and look better, but you should pay attention to the label more than to the color/aspect of the eggs.

Look for the ones marked "huevos de campo". I've found these to be the best.

However the color of the yolk is solely due to the kind feeding, and it is not an indicator of the nutritional attributes of the egg. Indeed, chickens are fed with modified grains to make bright orange yolks for commercial purpose, since we are under the false notion/impression that the brighter the yolk, the healthier the chicken and its eggs.

How do you know alll of this?
What about DrCormillot Scam Eggs? Never bought them because I see them like a scam, but... any actual experiences?

When I want tasty eggs to lovingly poach upon a potato pancake I buy quail eggs.

Back